Edge, Television

Animating broader audiences

cartoonizia

Izia Lindsay // Staff Cartoonist

Whether they’re being played on the big screen or on the living room television, animated cartoons have entertained audiences for more than a century. From the humble beginnings of “Felix the Cat” and classic Mickey Mouse cartoons to today’s “Adventure Time” and “SpongeBob SquarePants,” cartoons have made an undeniable impression on pop culture.

Animated features of the early 20th century such as “Looney Tunes” and “Tom and Jerry” frequently stand out due to their appeal to audiences of all ages. Cartoons of the so-called “golden age of animation” synergized both childlike whims and adult insights to cater to a large, broad audience. While this trend continues today, the question of whether cartoons are devolving in quality or if cartoon-goers have simply become nostalgic for the older shows of the ‘90s has been hotly debated for many years.

Some would argue that cartoons have actually gotten more intelligent in recent years, with critically acclaimed shows such as “Steven Universe” and “Legend of Korra” exploring LGBT themes that never came into play during the early-20th-century “golden age.”

“I think we’re slowly making progress in the right direction,” said junior film major Spencer Ellenberg. “I can say that I never thought I’d find a character’s sexuality handled as delicately as ‘Legend of Korra’ handled it in a kid’s show. I know that ‘Korra’ intentionally reaches towards more mature audiences, but an exclusively child-oriented network like Nickelodeon being the one to distribute it is just comforting in my opinion.”

While Nielsen ratings reveal that the average number of daily viewers aged two through 11 for Cartoon Network, Disney and Nickelodeon has dropped since 2012, some viewers, like sophomore physics major Brandon Purvis, are more optimistic about the future of animation.

“I don’t think that Western animation is heading into the dumpster,” Purvis said. “In fact, I think we’re on our way to another great era. An era where networks and cartoonists are aware that kids aren’t the only ones watching, but also an era where they aren’t afraid to put meaningful messages into their work because they know kids are watching.”

Purvis attributed much of the negative reception for modern cartoons to nostalgia for the critically acclaimed shows of the ‘90s.

However, there are also a great many viewers who are less enthusiastic about the state of Western animation. Sophomore mechanical engineering major Nathan Fleming lambasted the “stigma” that cartoons are exclusively for children and stressed the notion that animated television shows have struggled over the years.

“Cartoons are doing far worse than ever now,” Fleming said. “Cartoons like ‘Steven Universe,’ ‘Gravity Falls,’ and even ‘My Little Pony’ are the exception, not the norm.”

Fleming said he believes that the numerous people who have defended today’s lineup of cartoons are “influenced by the shallow mindsets of the modern era.”

While the more recent years of Western animation have polarized audiences and critics alike, viewers like Ellenberg are hopeful that the industry can bounce back from its current malaise.

“For animation to really grow in the West, Seth MacFarlane needs to retire and ‘The Simpsons’ needs to go off the air,” Ellenberg said.

“The Simpsons” and MacFarlane’s “Family Guy” have been on the air since 1989 and 1999, respectively.

“The network executives need to be shown that a cartoon isn’t limited to a child or lowbrow audience. It’s a lot less limited to be any kind of show you want it to be, as long as your imagination doesn’t outsize your budget,” Ellenberg said.

Israel Aragon Bravo

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...