Election 2016, News

Amendment 2 passes, legalizing medical marijuana in Florida

Passed: Amendment 2, legalizing the use of medical marijuana.

Tabling in the University Center Breezeway, University of Miami students have been campaigning on campus for several months leading up to this election. Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) was created on-campus by alumnus Colin Fitzgibbon, who interned with the organization after he graduated in 2013 with a degree in anthropology.

Fitzgibbon is now the Florida campus coordinator for SSDP, overseeing the more than 15 chapters across the state and recruiting students to help push more flexible drug policies.

“I have the administration of UM to thank,” Fitzgibbon said of the impetus behind his activism. He said he was caught and disciplined for having a small amount of cannabis in his on-campus dorm.

“Our biggest goal is to reduce the harms caused by drugs. And the laws against drugs are more harmful than the actual drugs,” he said.

Fitzgibbon described the policies that SSDP promotes as defending “fundamental human rights” of people who are ill to have access to the healing and medical agents in cannabis.

After Amendment 2 passed, Fitzgibbon said the organization’s goals will shift to improve the “partial amnesty” rule UM administration have in place. This rule, also known as the “good Samaritan” pardon, allows students to call for help if a friend is in a life-threatening situation caused by illegal substances without any repercussions for involvement. However, the “partial amnesty” comes into play if the situation were to reoccur. Then it would be up to the discretion of the university whether or not to impose sanctions.

Another initiative, Fitzgibbon said, is getting more drug-testing kits on campus for students to use at events such as Ultra Music Festival, where a UM student died in the spring after overdosing. These kits allow users to test drugs for purity in settings where drugs are often laced with dangerous substances or “grossly misrepresented.”

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...