Community, Edge, Music

Marshmello adds an EDM twist to recent hip-hop lineups

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

This year’s Homecoming Concert kicks off at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Watsco Center (formerly the BankUnited Center). In case you haven’t heard, the artists that will grace the stage are singer and rapper D.R.A.M., of “Cha Cha” and “Broccoli” fame, and EDM producer and D.J. Marshmello, who has performed his high-energy tunes like “Alone” and “Keep It Mello” at festivals like Ultra and Lollapalooza.

While hip-hop is nothing new for a UM Homecoming Concert, with past performers like Waka Flocka Flame, T-Pain and Fabolous, the addition of a high-profile EDM artist to the mix with Marshmello is certainly a welcome move and an interesting twist.

“While I hadn’t heard of Marshmello before HP announced the headliners, I listened to his music on Spotify and figured the Homecoming Concert would be sort of like a club in Miami, so I wasn’t too surprised by their choice,” said Danny Urkov, a film and psychology double major. “I am excited to see if actual instruments will be used or just a guy on the computer hitting the play button.”

In addition to D.R.A.M. and Marshmello, UM-based D.J. trio Yardhaus is opening the show. The group won Hurricane Productions’ student D.J. contest, so show up early enough to see their skills in action. Speaking of contests, make sure to keep an eye out for Easter eggs hidden around campus to earn a chance at winning reserved floor spots, meet and greets, or a VIP experience, courtesy of HP Concerts.

If you don’t find an Easter egg or haven’t picked up your free tickets yet, tickets will still be available in the Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for any student with a valid Cane Card. So, grab your ticket, prepare your best rave outfit and get ready to party at the Homecoming Concert.

Jon Vilardi

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...