Community, Edge, Music

Marshmello adds an EDM twist to recent hip-hop lineups

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

This year’s Homecoming Concert kicks off at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Watsco Center (formerly the BankUnited Center). In case you haven’t heard, the artists that will grace the stage are singer and rapper D.R.A.M., of “Cha Cha” and “Broccoli” fame, and EDM producer and D.J. Marshmello, who has performed his high-energy tunes like “Alone” and “Keep It Mello” at festivals like Ultra and Lollapalooza.

While hip-hop is nothing new for a UM Homecoming Concert, with past performers like Waka Flocka Flame, T-Pain and Fabolous, the addition of a high-profile EDM artist to the mix with Marshmello is certainly a welcome move and an interesting twist.

“While I hadn’t heard of Marshmello before HP announced the headliners, I listened to his music on Spotify and figured the Homecoming Concert would be sort of like a club in Miami, so I wasn’t too surprised by their choice,” said Danny Urkov, a film and psychology double major. “I am excited to see if actual instruments will be used or just a guy on the computer hitting the play button.”

In addition to D.R.A.M. and Marshmello, UM-based D.J. trio Yardhaus is opening the show. The group won Hurricane Productions’ student D.J. contest, so show up early enough to see their skills in action. Speaking of contests, make sure to keep an eye out for Easter eggs hidden around campus to earn a chance at winning reserved floor spots, meet and greets, or a VIP experience, courtesy of HP Concerts.

If you don’t find an Easter egg or haven’t picked up your free tickets yet, tickets will still be available in the Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for any student with a valid Cane Card. So, grab your ticket, prepare your best rave outfit and get ready to party at the Homecoming Concert.

Jon Vilardi

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...