Student magazine, yearbook, newspaper win awards in national competition

The University of Miami’s Ibis Yearbook and Distraction Magazine were both awarded the Associated Collegiate Press’s (ACP) highest award, the Pacemaker. The awards were for the work they produced during the 2015-2016 academic year.

Mariah Keith, the contest and critique coordinator for the ACP said that the Pacemaker is awarded to top student-run media organizations across the country that excel in both content and design.

“We want to find and honor student works, whether that is the yearbook, student website or any kind of broadcast platform. We aim to recognize students and advisors on the work they have put into the publications through contests and critique services,” Keith said.

Distraction is a lifestyle magazine that focuses on student-body culture of the University of Miami. This year they won Pacemaker awards for magazine and online work.

The staff of Distraction are all unpaid volunteers, though some receive class credit for their work on the magazine. Editor-in-Chief Asmae Fahmy is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology.

“It’s such an honor to win these awards … I am so happy to see the long hours and late nights paying off” said Fahmy.

Fahmy was the managing editor last year under Editor-in-Chief Rori Kotch, who is an interactive media graduate student at UM.

“We had an amazing group of extremely talented people who worked hard and made the magazine even better. I am extremely proud,” said Kotch.

Fahmy said Distraction has qualified for the finals in the past, but has won only one other Pacemaker before.

“I think the magazine excelled last year because it broke so many barriers and changed so much in content and design. We did multiple covers for every issue, and we did the boldest thing the magazine has ever done, which is making a 100-page issue,” said Fahmy.

The Ibis Yearbook, first published in 1927 and published annually since, is known nationally for its work. The staff won the Pacemaker award – what some call the “Pulitzer of Scholastic Journalism” – this year for the tenth time, ranking it among the top 10 yearbooks in the country.

Kaitlin Castillo, the editor-in-chief for the Ibis Yearbook, is a sophomore majoring in marketing and advertising. She said the win always serves as welcome recognition of the high standard the Ibis staff has for its work, but she is still striving to make the yearbook even better.

“At the conferences we attend, the Ibis Yearbook is a household name and the standard other schools put themselves up against,” Castillo said. “I hope that under my leadership, the staff and I can continue taking risks with designs, venturing into new territories with stories and improving on the things we already do well to continue enhancing the quality of our work.”

The Miami Hurricane won nine Columbia Scholastic Press Association 2016 Gold Circle Awards and was a finalist in 15 categories: editorial writing, personal opinion (on-campus issues), news feature, general feature, entertainment reviews, alternative story form, photo illustration, typography, feature page design, on-campus personal opinion issue, single-subject news or feature package, single sports photograph, photo illustration and photo slideshow.

Diya Vasudevan

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...