News Briefs 11/3: Homecoming, Election Day

Homecoming 

Alma Mater Finals – The Rock, 10:45 a.m.

Homecoming concert with D.R.A.M. and Marshmello – The concert will be held at the Watsco Center, formerly known as the BankUnited Center. Admission is free for students, tickets are required for entry. The concert is open to faculty, staff and alumni, but closed to the general public unless you have a guest ticket.

When: Doors open at 7 p.m. Concert will begin at 8 p.m. 

Homecoming Parade and Hurricane Howl – The parade, which runs across Merrick Drive and Stanford Drive, will showcase more than 40 student organizations. Hurricane Howl features food trucks, a block party, boat burning ceremony and fireworks, and will take place on Stanford Drive, Merrick Drive and around Lake Osceola, respectively. Admission is free.

When: Food trucks and block party at 6 p.m. Parade at 7 p.m. Boat burning ceremony will begin at 8:30 p.m, immediately followed by fireworks. 

Election Day 

Vote on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at your designated polling place. The Watsco Center, formerly the BankUnited Center, is a Miami-Dade County voting station.

Multiple Election Night watch parties will be happening around campus Tuesday night:

• Political science professors Joseph Uscinski, Casey Klofstad and Rudy Fernandez, who teach “The Election” class, will broadcast coverage from major networks on several large screens throughout the Watsco Center Fieldhouse.  Political analysts, special guests and live media coverage will be present. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m.
  • UM’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and the Division of Student Affairs will host a full day of events at the Rathskeller, beginning at 12 p.m. The watch party will begin at 9 p.m. 
  • There will also be an inflatable screen with the election night results Tuesday night on the Hecht-Stanford Bridge.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...