Football, Sports

Hurricanes offensive line and defense having issues, team losing 20-7 to Notre Dame at halftime

The Hurricanes defense is depleted with injuries, and it is showing. The Canes allowed the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to march down field with ease on the first possession of the game on a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that took just 3:28 off the clock. Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer completed five of his six passes on that drive for 52 yards and a touchdown. The score came off a five-yard shuffle pass to wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr.

The game got worse for the Canes later in that first quarter after an interception thrown by junior quarterback Brad Kaaya at the 6:29 mark of the first quarter. This led to another touchdown thrown by Kizer, this time on a 14-yard catch made by receiver Equanimeous St. Brown, making the score 17-0.

Notre Dame made its first error while fielding a routine punt by Miami in the second quarter. The football touched a Fighting Irish player and was then recovered by the Canes. The Hurricanes took advantage of the miscue and went on a four-play, 38-yard scoring drive that culminated in a two-yard touchdown pass from Kaaya to junior tight end David Njoku.

Miami recovered an unexpected onside kick on the following kickoff, but was unable to take advantage and turn the possession into a score.

The Hurricanes run game was abysmal in the first half with only three total rushing yards. The offensive line continues to struggle, allowing three sacks and and eight tackles for loss by the Fighting Irish defense.

The Canes are down 20-7 at halftime.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Miami Hurricanes safety Rayshawn Jenkins was selected with the 113th overall pick by the Los Angeles ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...