Football, Sports

Hurricanes offensive line and defense having issues, team losing 20-7 to Notre Dame at halftime

The Hurricanes defense is depleted with injuries, and it is showing. The Canes allowed the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to march down field with ease on the first possession of the game on a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that took just 3:28 off the clock. Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer completed five of his six passes on that drive for 52 yards and a touchdown. The score came off a five-yard shuffle pass to wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr.

The game got worse for the Canes later in that first quarter after an interception thrown by junior quarterback Brad Kaaya at the 6:29 mark of the first quarter. This led to another touchdown thrown by Kizer, this time on a 14-yard catch made by receiver Equanimeous St. Brown, making the score 17-0.

Notre Dame made its first error while fielding a routine punt by Miami in the second quarter. The football touched a Fighting Irish player and was then recovered by the Canes. The Hurricanes took advantage of the miscue and went on a four-play, 38-yard scoring drive that culminated in a two-yard touchdown pass from Kaaya to junior tight end David Njoku.

Miami recovered an unexpected onside kick on the following kickoff, but was unable to take advantage and turn the possession into a score.

The Hurricanes run game was abysmal in the first half with only three total rushing yards. The offensive line continues to struggle, allowing three sacks and and eight tackles for loss by the Fighting Irish defense.

The Canes are down 20-7 at halftime.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...