Environment, News

Many shades, smells of Lake Osceola part of its healthy life cycle

Students have noticed a brown coloration of Lake Osceola, which is part of the normal life cycle of the lake. Victoria McKaba // Photo Editor

Lake Osceola is the centerpiece of University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, with its free flowing fountain and assorted wildlife of ducks, egrets and barracudas. But every so often, its water turns brown and a pungent odor invades the surrounding air, making students wonder what exactly is going on underneath the serene surface.

“I have noticed that the lake sometimes looks murky, and sometimes it’s clear and even looks green,” said Naja Murphy, a freshman and marine science major.

Lake Osceola has been a part of campus since 1947, starting out as a canal connected to Biscayne Bay and other freshwater systems.

Professor Dan DiResta, senior lecturer in the Department of Biology, has been studying the lake since the 1990s and used to take students to test the lake’s salinity, nutrient levels and cloudiness.

“It’s one of the best things on campus,” DiResta said.

From endangered mangrove trees to the occasional manatee, the lake is home to a large and varied ecosystem that has remained healthy throughout the past couple of years. However, this wasn’t always the case.

“One of the things we found was that the lake was stratified with fresher water on the surface and saltier water towards the bottom,” DiResta said.

The brown coloration and pungent smell is part of the normal life cycle of the lake, according to DiResta. Given how shallow the lake is – its deepest point is eight feet – whenever there is a storm or any other disturbance of the water, the sediment at the bottom of the lake drifts upward, resulting in the cloudy, brown color.

Sediment isn’t the only thing picked up. Nutrients trapped at the bottom of the lake are released to the surface, resulting in large algal blooms. Algae can range from microscopic, unicellular organisms to pieces of kelp, and once they die off and settle to the bottom of the lake, bacteria sets in to break them down.

The result is the sour smell many students have been greeted with on their way to class. This also results in the death of fish as oxygen is used up by bacteria.

Since the installation of the fountain and oxygen bubblers in the water years ago, the lake has improved considerably according to DiResta.

The features work to keep the balance of salt and fresh water equal, helping the free movement of oxygen while still allowing the natural process of the sedimentation to take place. The number of deaths in fish has dropped considerably since their inclusion.

“I think the lake is functioning more as a natural system than it used to,” DiResta said.

Nathalie Mairena

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...