Community, News, Religious Life

UM Hillel stands with UVa Jewish community against anti-Semitic vandalism

UM Hillel published a statement earlier today standing in solidarity with the Brody Jewish Center Hillel at the University of Virginia condemning anti-Semitic vandalism that was graffitied on the side of a campus apartment complex over the weekend.

hillel-antisemitic_condemnation_letter

The vandals sprayed the Star of David and “juden,” the German word for Jews, on the building. This imagery was used to single out Jewish business owners during the Nazi terror leading up to the Holocaust.

“While we are deeply saddened and concerned by this anti-Semitic act, the University of Virginia has a strong and vibrant Jewish community. This act does not change that fact. Today, UVa is a welcoming and safe community for Jewish students, which makes this act all the more jarring. This type of hate has no place at our University,” the Brody Jewish Center Hillel wrote in a Facebook statement.

UM Hillel and Student Government (SG) published a letter on social media explaining the importance of the University of Miami community taking a stance on the issue.

“This is not an isolated incident, but one that follows a disturbing pattern of prejudice. The apathy and, at times, antipathy of students when it comes to anti-Semitism only adds fuel to the fire. We must recognize this for what it is: a hate crime,” wrote Hillel President Joey Newfeld and SG President Vikesh Patel.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...