Community, News, Religious Life

UM Hillel stands with UVa Jewish community against anti-Semitic vandalism

UM Hillel published a statement earlier today standing in solidarity with the Brody Jewish Center Hillel at the University of Virginia condemning anti-Semitic vandalism that was graffitied on the side of a campus apartment complex over the weekend.

hillel-antisemitic_condemnation_letter

The vandals sprayed the Star of David and “juden,” the German word for Jews, on the building. This imagery was used to single out Jewish business owners during the Nazi terror leading up to the Holocaust.

“While we are deeply saddened and concerned by this anti-Semitic act, the University of Virginia has a strong and vibrant Jewish community. This act does not change that fact. Today, UVa is a welcoming and safe community for Jewish students, which makes this act all the more jarring. This type of hate has no place at our University,” the Brody Jewish Center Hillel wrote in a Facebook statement.

UM Hillel and Student Government (SG) published a letter on social media explaining the importance of the University of Miami community taking a stance on the issue.

“This is not an isolated incident, but one that follows a disturbing pattern of prejudice. The apathy and, at times, antipathy of students when it comes to anti-Semitism only adds fuel to the fire. We must recognize this for what it is: a hate crime,” wrote Hillel President Joey Newfeld and SG President Vikesh Patel.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...