Dear V

Dear V: Halloweenzilla ruining holiday with perfect party every year

My girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Halloween.

Every year, she throws a gigantic, expensive party. She goes all out: arranging catered food, renting a bar, hiring a live band, you name it. The decorations are plastered all over the walls and everything is orchestrated down to the nitty-gritty details.

She basically turns into a Bridezilla, except instead of her wedding, it’s just a Halloween party. She’s like a Halloweenzilla – or, to be frank, a total witch.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, my girlfriend is a loving, sweet and wonderful person to be around. But the last week of October has been absolute hell for me these last three years, and I’m tired of it.

She makes me help her with all the planning, down to the point of picking out what color the punch bowl should be and where the fake spider webs should be hung. She insists on badgering me for my opinion until I’ve helped her enough for her to be satisfied.

You’d think she’d get the hint that she’s no fun to be around if all of her female friends bail on planning the party with her and she has to decorate with her boyfriend, but nope. Totally clueless.

I’m so sick of it. I just want to go out to a bar and grab some drinks with friends and maybe throw on a mask or something. This party is way too important to my girlfriend for me to bail, but I’m tired of dealing with the chaos. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Fatigued Frankenstein

Dear Frankenstein,

Sure, this party clearly matters to your girlfriend. After all, who would cough up all that dough otherwise? But if it doesn’t matter to you at all, you shouldn’t be forced to help.

Now, of course, if she wasn’t such a Halloweenzilla, I’d say it’s your boyfriendly duty to help her out. But because she’s being such a –  cough  – witch, you shouldn’t feel required to ruin your holiday every year just to placate the decorations dictator.

Let your girlfriend know as soon as possible that you won’t be helping out this go-around. She’s bound to be devastated and it might even cause a fight, especially if she can’t get any of her girlfriends to help her out.

However, maybe this will be the wake-up call that she needs. Once she realizes she’s making it miserable for the guests by being such a perfectionist, she might finally chill out a bit.

That could be wishful thinking, but ya can’t help but hope.

Have fun this year and do what you enjoy, and let the chips fall as they may. Hopefully your girlfriend will turn back from a werewolf to a human on Nov. 1, and you can continue with your otherwise happy relationship.

-V

Advice Columnist

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...