Edge, Food

Add flavor to Halloween festivities with creative treat, drink ideas

Halloween is almost here and soon, spooky festivities will commence all over Miami.

Need some scary snacks for your ghoulish get-together? Have no fear, there are no tricks about these terrific treats.

Creepy-crawly Cookies

Spiders can be scary, but a chocolate spider on a cookie makes for a cute Halloween dessert. Bake the homemade or store-bought cookie dough of your choice, and then add a Reese’s cup to the top. Draw two circles with white icing on the cup to make eyes, then add in pupils and draw on spider legs with chocolate icing.

Boo-nana Pop

Since Halloween still feels like summer in Miami, cool off with a frozen boo-nana pop. Cut a medium banana in half, insert Popsicle sticks and freeze. Dip the banana pops into melted white chocolate (or vanilla yogurt for a guilt-free twist), put two chocolate chip “eyes” on each ghost and freeze again until ready to eat.

Rice Krispie Pumpkins

Create your own edible pumpkin patch with pumpkin Rice Krispies treats. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, then add a 10-ounce bag of marshmallows and enough orange food coloring to create the desired hue. Stir the marshmallows until melted, then remove from heat and add 6 cups of Rice Krispies. When the mixture has cooled, shape handfuls into a pumpkin shape, add a pretzel rod stem and a bit of green Airhead as a leaf.

Oreo Eyeball Truffles

Eerie Oreo eyeball truffles will have your guests howling for more. Combine a crushed package of Oreos with 8 ounces of cream cheese and refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, melt 12 ounces of white chocolate. Roll the Oreo mixture into balls, then dip in the white chocolate and quickly place a Lifesaver candy as the iris and a chocolate chip as the pupil of the eye. Then return to the fridge until hardened.

Ghastly Green Drink

Mix 2 liters of Sprite with a tub of lime sherbet. Scoop additional sherbet on top and pour more Sprite over them to create a foamy topping.

Bloody Beverage

Mix equal parts fruit punch, apple juice, cranberry juice and ginger ale.

Either option can easily be concocted for monsters of drinking age by adding the liquor of your choice. For extra gruesome fun, fill a plastic glove or Halloween mask with water and freeze to make a frozen hand or face to float in the punch, or surprise your guests with gummy worms frozen inside ice cubes.

Madelyn Paquette

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...