Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball recap: Loss against Semionles, win over Cavaliers

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to archrival No. 12 Florida State 3-0 on Wednesday evening.

“I thought we made too many errors in games one and two, so it was an uphill battle from there on,” Miami Head Coach José “Keno” Gándara said.

Miami (8-13, 2-7 ACC) lost to the Seminoles (15-3, 8-1 ACC) in three straight sets 25-12, 25-15 and 25-22.

The Canes and Noles traded points early in the first set, but an effective timeout by Florida State Head Coach Chris Poole sparked a run for the Seminoles. They would win 17 of the next 25 points to close out the set 25-12. It was a set that included 10 hitting errors for Miami compared to just three attacking errors by Florida State.

Miami looked sharper early on in the second set leading 4-2, but Florida State clawed its way back and ultimately went on a run to down the Canes 25-15 in the second set and take a two to nothing advantage into the intermission. FSU was able to limit UM to a -.061 hitting percentage in the second set.

The Hurricanes came out of the break firing, giving the Seminoles a 15-13 battle until a media timeout. However, Miami couldn’t fend off the Florida State attack for long, as the Noles closed out the three-set victory with a 25-22 win in the final set.

“I think we settled a little bit and cut back in errors a lot,” Gándara said of his team’s adjustments out of the intermission. “We got opportunities. They made some errors and we got to play a little bit more and that was the key. I thought we served a little tougher in game three.”

The Seminoles were able to neutralize junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali, who leads the ACC in kills (344) and kills per set (4.53). Strantzali finished with nine kills but was forced to 11 errors.

Freshman setter Hannah Sorensen tallied 25 assists for the Canes. She has totaled at least 25 assists in every match since taking over the setting duties for injured preseason All-ACC junior setter Haley Templeton.

Florida State limited Miami to a hitting percentage of .010, courtesy of nine Seminole blocks. The Noles attacked the ball at a clip of .226 percent.

Miami bounced back against Virginia on Saturday night, sweeping the Cavaliers 3-0. The Hurricanes won the sets 25-19, 26-24 and 25-18 to get its third ACC win of the season.

Junior outside hitter Strantzali led the Canes with a team-high 14 kills and nine digs, while sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak tallied 12 kills, seven digs and a block.

Miami will next travel to South Bend, Indiana, to play Notre Dame, as the team tries to earn back-to-back victories for the first time since August. The match will take place at 7 p.m. on Friday.

Josh White

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...