Football, Sports

Canes tied with Hokies 3-3 at the end of the first quarter

The crowd was heard loud and clear from the kickoff. Virginia Tech showed why Lane Stadium is known as one of the more hostile environments in the ACC.

The Miami offensive line continues to be an issue, not giving junior quarterback Brad Kaaya the adequate time in the pocket to find his receivers. Kaaya got sacked twice in the first quarter.

Both teams were able to move the ball down the field, however the only scores came on field goals. Hokies kicker Joey Slye made a 47-yard field goal at the 10:45 mark of the first period.

The biggest play for the Hurricanes came off an excellent wheel route ran by junior tight end David Njoku in which Kaaya hit him in stride with no one in front of him. Njoku ended up tripping and falling, leaving the play as a 48-yard reception. This happened during an eight play, 78-yard drive by Miami that led to a Michael Badgley field goal tying the game at three apiece.

Kaaya finished the period completing an efficient six out of eight passes for 90 yards, while Virginia Tech quarterback Jerod Evans threw for 43 yards on six of 10 passing. The Canes defense put pressure on the dual threat quarterback early on.

The score is 3-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...