Football, Sports

Canes tied with Hokies 3-3 at the end of the first quarter

The crowd was heard loud and clear from the kickoff. Virginia Tech showed why Lane Stadium is known as one of the more hostile environments in the ACC.

The Miami offensive line continues to be an issue, not giving junior quarterback Brad Kaaya the adequate time in the pocket to find his receivers. Kaaya got sacked twice in the first quarter.

Both teams were able to move the ball down the field, however the only scores came on field goals. Hokies kicker Joey Slye made a 47-yard field goal at the 10:45 mark of the first period.

The biggest play for the Hurricanes came off an excellent wheel route ran by junior tight end David Njoku in which Kaaya hit him in stride with no one in front of him. Njoku ended up tripping and falling, leaving the play as a 48-yard reception. This happened during an eight play, 78-yard drive by Miami that led to a Michael Badgley field goal tying the game at three apiece.

Kaaya finished the period completing an efficient six out of eight passes for 90 yards, while Virginia Tech quarterback Jerod Evans threw for 43 yards on six of 10 passing. The Canes defense put pressure on the dual threat quarterback early on.

The score is 3-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...