Golf, Sports

Canes golf places third in Jim West Challenge

The Miami Hurricanes women’s golf team finished in third place out of 15 schools at the Jim West Challenge, hosted by Texas State in Houston on Oct. 9-10.

The Canes posted team scores of 290 (two-over-par) and 292 (four-over-par) in the first two rounds, respectively.

In the final round on Oct. 10, the team rebounded with an impressive 271 (17-under-par) to finish with a final team score of 853 (11-under-par).

Sophomore Dewi Weber led the team with a score of 212 (four-under-par) for the tournament, including a five-under-par score of 67 in the final round on Oct. 10. Weber finished tied for eighth place individually.

Senior Delfina Acosta posted a final round 73 (one-over-par) en route to a 214 (two-under-par) for the event. Acosta’s performance during the weekend was highlighted by a three-under-par 69 in the second round that helped her finish tied for 15th place overall.

Freshman Filippa Moork recovered from her second round 76 (four-over-par) by posting a four-under-par 68 in the final round. She finished tied for 20th place individually with a score of 220.

Senior Daniela Darquea and freshman Renate Grimstad tied for 30th place with a three round total of 219. Darquea and Grimstad played their best golf of the weekend in the final round, finishing with a 67 (five-under-par) and 69 (three-under-par), respectively.

Florida State took first place in the team competition with a score of 840 (24-under-par), followed by Kent State who posted an 847 (17-under-par).

Florida State senior Matilda Castren posted a 203 (13-under-par) to win the individual tournament. Kent State freshman Pimnipa Panthong shot a final round score of 63 (nine-under-par) on her way to a second place finish.

The Canes are back in action in Austin at the Betsy Rawls Invitational. The tournament will conclude on Tuesday.

About Author

Andrew Blechman

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...