Election 2016, News

Voter registration deadline in Florida extended

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker extended Florida’s voter registration deadline on Wednesday to Tuesday, Oct. 18. The extension was granted after Hurricane Matthew blew through some coastal areas of the state last week, and after a preliminary extension of one day was added. For those leading the effort on campus to register students to vote, that means even more time to get as many students engaged as possible.

Monica Bustinza, president of the University of Miami’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV), said the organization already met its goal of registering 1,500 students since last September but with the added time, GOTV hopes to reach even more unregistered citizens.

GOTV will have a voter registration table at the Breezeway every weekday until Oct. 18 in order to make the most of the pushed deadline.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...