Election 2016, News

Voter registration deadline in Florida extended

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker extended Florida’s voter registration deadline on Wednesday to Tuesday, Oct. 18. The extension was granted after Hurricane Matthew blew through some coastal areas of the state last week, and after a preliminary extension of one day was added. For those leading the effort on campus to register students to vote, that means even more time to get as many students engaged as possible.

Monica Bustinza, president of the University of Miami’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV), said the organization already met its goal of registering 1,500 students since last September but with the added time, GOTV hopes to reach even more unregistered citizens.

GOTV will have a voter registration table at the Breezeway every weekday until Oct. 18 in order to make the most of the pushed deadline.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...