Football, Sports

Sam Bruce dismissed from football program

Freshman wide receiver Sam Bruce has been dismissed from the University of Miami football program after multiple violations of team rules and failure to meet the expectations established to be a part of the program.

Bruce, who had yet to play a snap in an actual game, had issues since the beginning of the season. According to the Miami Herald, after breaking his leg playing recreational basketball, Bruce reportedly lied to the university about what happened, telling coaches that it was caused by a biking accident. He had also shown up late to multiple rehab sessions.

Bruce’s mother, Tracye Wilkerson, told Canesport’s Matt Shodell that Bruce was afraid because he knew he was not supposed to be playing any sports outside of football. According to Wilkerson, being late for his own rehab was the last straw.

“He was warned and was late to therapy,” Wilkerson said. “That was it.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...