Bottle-throwing incident at FSU game signals return of notorious Canes swagger

The score was 20-13 with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter when Jamal Carter was called for targeting FSU wide receiver Kermit Whitfield. What ensued was a level of rowdiness the likes of which I’ve never seen in my six years of attending Miami Hurricanes games.

I’m no NCAA rules expert, so I won’t try to debate whether or not this call was correct. The most astounding part of the situation was the fan reaction. After the call had been reviewed and upheld, fans began throwing bottles onto the field. Projectiles were thrown from all areas of the stadium to protest the “bad” call. While this posed somewhat of a danger to photographers, cheerleaders and staff of both teams stationed on the sidelines, it was a gutsy move.

It’s unlikely that this call would have elicited the same reaction had it been any other game. Our rivalry with FSU is one of dedicated hatred and as such, the stakes are higher. Pride and dignity were on the line. When you play a rival, you never want to leave the fate of the game in the hands of the officials. Unfortunately, protesting the officials’ calls does little to change their minds. In fact, Miami could have been penalized for the bottle throwing incident.

After years of being stifled by NCAA sanctions and losses against less-than-worthy opponents, Miami fans have suffered through quite a bit in recent years. We are a fan base that knows what it wants. Need I remind anyone of the “Fire Al Golden” banner planes? Even though we know our protest wouldn’t change anything, we made our voices heard – albeit in disrespectful and dangerous way, but we did it nonetheless.

Part of what makes college football so much fun is the rowdiness surrounding it. This rowdiness has been noticeably lacking from the Miami Hurricanes in the past few years. With a new coaching staff whom many believe will lead us back to greatness, the bottle-throwing protest harkened back to our years of true swagger.

I’m talking about back when our players exited the plane for the 1987 Fiesta Bowl wearing fatigues, or when they celebrated every good play with hand gestures and dance moves. While these reactions and statements certainly aren’t the most respectful (or safe) ways to play the game, they contribute to the swagger with which we identify. Nobody ever said college football was classy, and the Canes certainly never have been. The bottle-throwing incident just confirmed that our notorious, in-your-face swagger is on the cusp of a triumphant return.

Dana McGeehan is a junior majoring in history and media management.

1. Classy Canes Fan on

I am a Canes fan inside and out. However, I disagree with this post extremely, and I am sure Coach Richt (who is a class act) would disagree with you as well. Like you said, this reaction by the fans could have had serious consequences. So would you espouse such a thing then? Also, it doesn’t matter how much “swagger” you have. What matters is that you WIN games. Note, you mentioned the 1987 Fiesta Bowl where the team wore fatigues and were super cocky. Guess what? We LOST that game to Penn State.
    I, as a Canes fan, was disgusted by this behavior from our fans. We should tidy up and not focus superficial things like “swagger”.

2. This by far is the stupidity that fosters in South Florida. Justification of rude behavior I’ve lived here for 58 yes. And the behavior of so many people here is unbelievable. My 13 and seventeen year olds make comments to this fact.

3. Being proud of your so called “swagger” is what continues to make UM’s fanbase one of the most despised in all of sports. If you’re proud of your fans throwing bottles then you sadly represent the lowest common denominator mentality of sportsmanship. UM lacks class and dignity which was showcased during that game. Act like you’ve been there before, act like you know how to conduct yourself and follow the rules. Everyone else can do it, so why is UM excempt from this behavior? Masquerading poor behavior as “swagger” really takes this over the top.

4. To glorify and applaud this incident is an embarrassment and injustice to the UM fans and family. While I respect the author’s right to an opinion, to trivialize this behavior as “swagger” is wrong.

5. This was targeting because he was a helpless receiver and sandwiched between 2 defenders. Also, UM should not be proud because fans threw trash on the field, they should be ashamed.

6. The author of this is a total idiot. What an imbecile. What happened isn’t a positive in any way. And stop with the bs about the importance of the game. First off, the only reason Miami was ranked were they were is because they haven’t played anyone all year. When they finally did, they lost. At home. So Miami still sucks like they have for years. Secondly, even if Miami had won the game, it would have been over a 3-3 fsu team. Wow. Big accomplishment. The author of this garbage needs to put down the crack pipe and join the rest of us in reality. All that happened was Miami one again demonstrated how boorish their fans are. Douchebags.

7. Sorry, but bottle throwing doesn’t strike me as swagger, rowdiness or fun. It’s more like poor sportsmanship but ya’ll are the “U” and you can be jerks if you want.

Leave A Reply