Blogs, The View

The View: Give Netflix a break with these hilarious books

I get it – you’re a college student. The thought of reading makes you cringe because you immediately think about the dusty textbook you haven’t opened all semester. Instead of binge-watching your favorite sitcom on Netflix, pick up one of these hilarious books to pass the time.

“Bossypants” by Tina Fey

There is no one better than Tina Fey and her book proves it. She will make you laugh out loud and wish “30 Rock” never ended. It may be the oldest book on this list, but it’s easily a classic.

“Paddle Your Own Canoe” by Nick Offerman

Nick Offerman is Ron Swanson and it’s amazing. If you miss “Parks and Recreation” as much as the next person, this book will make you miss it even more. The humor is as dry and great as you’d expect, and there’s some wise advice weaved through, too.

“Yes Please” by Amy Poehler

If you’ve ever wondered how Amy made her way into the hearts of everyone who’s watched something she’s created, this is the book to read. She gives advice on comedy and life and it was more or less the book of my dreams – there’s even a guest chapter by Seth Meyers.

“The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo” by Amy Schumer

If you don’t love Amy Schumer already, this book will make you fall for her even more. She’s unapologetically hilarious and you’re not going to want to put it down. Chase this book with a couple episodes of “Inside Amy Schumer” and you’ll never look back.

“Uganda Be Kidding Me” by Chelsea Handler

Chelsea Handler on an African safari. Nothing else needs to be said.

“Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” by Mindy Kaling

This book is everything you didn’t know you needed. Mindy Kaling from the days of “The Office” is the best Mindy. She writes about her pre-fame days and how awkward she was growing up and she just makes you want to be her best friend, as if you didn’t want to already.

“Why Not Me?” by Mindy Kaling

A more-famous Mindy writes about “The Mindy Project” and follows up with better jokes and more awkward stories. It’s a sequel that doesn’t disappoint.

“Sick in the Head” by Judd Apatow

This is the best of both worlds: Judd Apatow and interviews with other comedians you love. It’s basically the definitive textbook of important comedians.

Featured photo courtesy Flickr user inspector_81.

Samantha Ulin

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...