Soccer, Sports

Miami soccer loses 1-0 in double overtime to Pittsburgh

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce had a career-high seven saves for the Hurricanes, but it was not enough for Miami. The team fell to Pittsburgh 1-0 via a penalty shot goal in double overtime at Ambrose Urbanic Field Sunday afternoon.

Pittsburgh midfielder Hanna Hannesdottir scored the golden goal in the 106th minute for the Panthers (2-11-1, 1-5-0 ACC) for their first conference victory of the season.

The Canes (8-6-0, 3-3-0 ACC) controlled the game and shot count for most of the afternoon, but were unable to bury one past ACC save leader Taylor Francis.

The Hurricanes nearly jumped out in front early in the third minute when junior forward Ronnie Johnson picked the pocket of a Panthers defender, but Johnson’s strike went just wide.

Miami controlled play and possession in the first half and totaled eight shots compared to two by Pittsburgh before the intermission, but was unable to show for it on the scoreboard.

The Canes came close to notching a tally in the 76th minute when senior defender Emily Auld sent a corner kick into the box and Johnson headed toward goal, but the Panthers defense was able to stand tall and clear it off the back line.

Tullis-Joyce kept the game scoreless with an incredible save in the 89th minute from about eight yards out, which gave Miami a chance for a win down on the other end. Senior midfielder/defender Gianna Dal Pozzo received a loose ball off a corner kick and ripped a ball that went just over the bar on the final play of regulation.

The Canes headed into overtime for the first time in 2016.

During the first session of extra time, redshirt senior captain defender Shannon McCarthy nearly sent the fans packing. McCarthy sent a shot that hammered off the inside of the post and stayed inches in front of the goal line.

A penalty kick was awarded to the Panthers in the 106th minute when Pittsburgh midfielder Hannesdottir stepped up and delivered the first goal of her career past Tullis-Joyce, who had stopped a penalty shot the game before.

Miami, who averages just under two goals a game, was held scoreless for the fourth time this season.

The Canes will look to avenge the two-game skid when the team wraps up its three-match road trip against No. 12 Clemson at 7 p.m. on Friday at Historic Riggs Field.

About Author

Josh White

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...