Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Students eager to see what rivalry game brings

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Rain or shine, students at the University of Miami are buzzing about Saturday’s rivalry game against Florida State University. Throughout the week, The Miami Hurricane checked in with students about their thoughts.

How are you feeling going into the big game?

Amanda Fuentes, sophomore: “I’m really pumped because we are ranked higher than FSU. This game is probably the highlight of the season for me. It’s really personal for the fans because many of my friends go to FSU and it’s our time to shine.”

Alex Mennella, sophomore: “I’ve heard stories about how nuts it gets and I’m ready to experience it for myself. I’m most looking forward to the game itself, especially the 4th quarter, because that’s when I expect it to be the most intense.”

Meredith Sloan, junior: “New coach, new year. Things are looking good, this is our chance. If anything, [our ranking] enhances the rivalry because we have fallen behind in the last few matchups, so this makes us more excited as a school and it looks better for the U.”

Erika Orstad, sophomore: “With our new coaching staff, it’s exciting to see a new beginning. I’m really hoping that this game will be a turnaround for Miami.”

Parth Desai, sophomore: “First thing that comes to mind is definitely Chief Osceola coming out and throwing that spear down, and Sebastian the Ibis picking it up and breaking it in half. It’s just two really passionate fan bases. I expect Miami’s defense to take a little bit of a hit this game, but I expect a W in a close game by a field goal or a touchdown. It’s gonna go down to the end because regardless of ranking, Florida State-Miami is always a close game.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah5740.

About Author

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Students eager to see what rivalry game brings”

1. Gary says:

I’m so excited that I’m already wearing my game day uniform and shaking from the fear that I lit the wrong smoke bomb inside thinking it was the sage and I can’t see anything.
    GO CANES

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...