Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes volleyball sweeps Boston College for first ACC victory

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team swept Boston College 3-0 Friday night, giving them their first ACC win of the season.

The Canes (7-8, 1-2 ACC) were dominant in all three sets, but didn’t start off strong. The team fell behind 17-13 midway through the first set. However, behind seven kills from junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali, Miami mounted a comeback to win the first set 25-23.

“We served better and we passed better and that was the key,” Strantzali said after the game. “I felt like when we serve well and pass well we have the opportunity to be at our best.”

The Canes carried over the momentum into the second set, and the Eagles (5-8, 0-3 ACC) were unable to keep up. Miami went on a 6-1 run early and followed that up with a 5-2 run to take a 17-10 lead. Strantzali again led the way with six kills in the second set, her final one giving the Canes a 25-17 victory.

“I think we had a great week of practice and we really focused on one play at a time, one set at a time tonight,” junior middle blocker Sakile Simmons said on the team’s performance.

After dominating the second set, Miami came out in the third set hungry for the sweep. Behind a strong defensive showing, Miami held Boston College to just 14 points, winning the set 25-14.

Strantzali led the Canes’ defense with 17 blocks, the most by a single player on either team. Simmons finished the night with seven blocks, the second most of her career.

“The team trusts me,” Strantzali said. “They told me that I was going to get the ball and I went out and did my job.”

The Hurricanes will look to continue the momentum from this win on Sunday when they face Syracuse. The match will take place at the Knight Sports Complex at noon.

About Author

Matt Walter

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...