Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes volleyball sweeps Boston College for first ACC victory

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team swept Boston College 3-0 Friday night, giving them their first ACC win of the season.

The Canes (7-8, 1-2 ACC) were dominant in all three sets, but didn’t start off strong. The team fell behind 17-13 midway through the first set. However, behind seven kills from junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali, Miami mounted a comeback to win the first set 25-23.

“We served better and we passed better and that was the key,” Strantzali said after the game. “I felt like when we serve well and pass well we have the opportunity to be at our best.”

The Canes carried over the momentum into the second set, and the Eagles (5-8, 0-3 ACC) were unable to keep up. Miami went on a 6-1 run early and followed that up with a 5-2 run to take a 17-10 lead. Strantzali again led the way with six kills in the second set, her final one giving the Canes a 25-17 victory.

“I think we had a great week of practice and we really focused on one play at a time, one set at a time tonight,” junior middle blocker Sakile Simmons said on the team’s performance.

After dominating the second set, Miami came out in the third set hungry for the sweep. Behind a strong defensive showing, Miami held Boston College to just 14 points, winning the set 25-14.

Strantzali led the Canes’ defense with 17 blocks, the most by a single player on either team. Simmons finished the night with seven blocks, the second most of her career.

“The team trusts me,” Strantzali said. “They told me that I was going to get the ball and I went out and did my job.”

The Hurricanes will look to continue the momentum from this win on Sunday when they face Syracuse. The match will take place at the Knight Sports Complex at noon.

Matt Walter

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...