Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes volleyball sweeps Boston College for first ACC victory

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team swept Boston College 3-0 Friday night, giving them their first ACC win of the season.

The Canes (7-8, 1-2 ACC) were dominant in all three sets, but didn’t start off strong. The team fell behind 17-13 midway through the first set. However, behind seven kills from junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali, Miami mounted a comeback to win the first set 25-23.

“We served better and we passed better and that was the key,” Strantzali said after the game. “I felt like when we serve well and pass well we have the opportunity to be at our best.”

The Canes carried over the momentum into the second set, and the Eagles (5-8, 0-3 ACC) were unable to keep up. Miami went on a 6-1 run early and followed that up with a 5-2 run to take a 17-10 lead. Strantzali again led the way with six kills in the second set, her final one giving the Canes a 25-17 victory.

“I think we had a great week of practice and we really focused on one play at a time, one set at a time tonight,” junior middle blocker Sakile Simmons said on the team’s performance.

After dominating the second set, Miami came out in the third set hungry for the sweep. Behind a strong defensive showing, Miami held Boston College to just 14 points, winning the set 25-14.

Strantzali led the Canes’ defense with 17 blocks, the most by a single player on either team. Simmons finished the night with seven blocks, the second most of her career.

“The team trusts me,” Strantzali said. “They told me that I was going to get the ball and I went out and did my job.”

The Hurricanes will look to continue the momentum from this win on Sunday when they face Syracuse. The match will take place at the Knight Sports Complex at noon.

Matt Walter

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...