Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Time to praise Kaepernick and move on

I’ve seen the news on the continuation of police brutality primarily toward African American males throughout 2016. I truly want to commend San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for the stance that he has taken during the national anthem before each football game.

At first, I did not quite get the significance of it, but it was clear from the start. People are putting their hands up and are still getting killed. That’s not the country that we should be living in, period. He is kneeling in prayer for the lives lost during this terrible time. How long he will do it is a good question.

The attention started at a home preseason game in August when Kaepernick sat during the national anthem.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” (NFL.com)

Now, the media has taken Kaepernick’s actions way out of proportion by posting about every athlete who does something different during the national anthem, whether it be kneeling, raising a fist or locking arms. It is time to leave Kaepernick and the others alone, as President Barack Obama previously stated that Kaepernick is “exercising his constitutional right.”

Keep doing what you are doing, Kaepernick.

Wyatt Geller

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...