Election 2016, News

National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Monica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Mónica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami’s chapter of Get Out The Vote (GOTV) registered 103 people to vote on Tuesday at their event for National Voter Registration Day, co-hosted by Hurricane Productions, UM College Republicans and Young and College Democrats. This was a hike in registration from their average of seven to 20 students a day.

National Voter Registration Day spreads awareness of where Americans can get registered and happens every year on the fourth Tuesday of September. The day was created by a resolution of the National Association for Secretaries of State.

GOTV has registered more than 1,000 voters since it was revived by its President, Mónica Bustinza, in August 2015. Bustinza said they are now aiming to register 1,500 students before Oct. 11, the final day to register to vote in Florida.

Nidhi Patel, a junior majoring in neuroscience, registered on Tuesday and said that her decision was boosted due to the motivation of the campus community.

“I think the best part about voter registration this year is that it is so student-driven on campus,” Patel said. “Seeing students so excited and so willing to help their peers get registered really motivates you to get out and vote.”

The student organization sets up tables in the Breezeway from noon to 2 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...