Election 2016, News

National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Monica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Mónica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami’s chapter of Get Out The Vote (GOTV) registered 103 people to vote on Tuesday at their event for National Voter Registration Day, co-hosted by Hurricane Productions, UM College Republicans and Young and College Democrats. This was a hike in registration from their average of seven to 20 students a day.

National Voter Registration Day spreads awareness of where Americans can get registered and happens every year on the fourth Tuesday of September. The day was created by a resolution of the National Association for Secretaries of State.

GOTV has registered more than 1,000 voters since it was revived by its President, Mónica Bustinza, in August 2015. Bustinza said they are now aiming to register 1,500 students before Oct. 11, the final day to register to vote in Florida.

Nidhi Patel, a junior majoring in neuroscience, registered on Tuesday and said that her decision was boosted due to the motivation of the campus community.

“I think the best part about voter registration this year is that it is so student-driven on campus,” Patel said. “Seeing students so excited and so willing to help their peers get registered really motivates you to get out and vote.”

The student organization sets up tables in the Breezeway from noon to 2 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation”

1. Dan Ellis says:

University of Miami students need to participate in the 2016 Presidential Election and based on the numbers reported from National Voter Registration Day on campus on Tuesday, UM’s Get Out the Vote is close to hitting their 1500 registration goal. I think with events on campus and the Miami Hurricane covering the event, GOTV can hit their goal by October 11th. We have to participate in our nation’s government, and if we wish to challenge and implement new policies, the first step towards that is registering to vote.

2. Nina Best says:

The upcoming election is very important and college students are a group of individuals who should definitely focus on who will be our next president. It is great to see UM encouraging students to register to vote through out chapter of GOTV. You can see and hear GOTV reeling students in to register to vote in the state of Florida, and if they registered 105 individuals on National Voter Registration Day then their efforts are producing great results. I think it is great that their efforts are making students aware and is getting students involved in the 2016 presidential election.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...