Community, Edge, Theater

Theatre group raises awareness of sexual assault, college drinking culture

Sometimes it’s difficult to do the right thing. While performing “Dorm,” a collaboration between UM’s theatre department and student outreach group Counseling Outreach Peer Education (COPE), cast members portrayed a potential off-stage sexual assault situation.

In this skit, Lisa, a girl who had gotten too drunk at a party, stumbles into her room with a guy. Anna, Lisa’s roommate, is irritated that she was “sexiled” and heads to the study room. Anna meets up with four other friends who all discuss the situation and debate what to do. Some friends are concerned and believe that Anna should intervene and check on Lisa, while others suggest leaving Lisa alone out of fear of overreacting.

After the performance, which took place on Thursday in the Shalala Student Center, the five actors held a Q&A session with the audience and stayed in character while giving their answers.

Audience questions included, “If it were you, would you want someone to intervene?” and, “Is the possibility of getting in trouble for underage drinking worth the safety of your friends?”

The session encouraged an interesting dialogue on college drinking culture, friendship and the importance of bystander intervention.

Following the Q&A, the cast restarted the production. This time, the crowd participated in the performance. When audience members felt the need to intervene, they could simply raise their hand and shout, “Stop!”

“Dorm” is an example of “theatre for social change” or “applied theatre.” Audience participation is essential to the dialogue and understanding of the presented scenario.

Skit director and lecturer cfrancis blackchild is in her third year of teaching at UM. She works closely with students to research and devise scripts that shed light on the issue of campus sexual assault. blackchild refers to the group of students who perform this type of theatre on campus as “The Troop,” also known as “Theatre in Action” (TIA).

“People don’t know how to talk about these situations, and this type of theatre production forces people to think and reflect in new ways,” blackchild said.

Paul Schulz, an undeclared freshman and one of the audience members who intervened during the skit, noted increased discussion about sexual assault situations.

“Rape itself is being acknowledged more frequently, so I feel more comfortable and confident with intervening,” Schulz said.

blackchild said these conversations are necessary for change.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, one in five women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. Sixty-three percent of these incidents are never reported to the police.

“We work hard so students at this university understand that there are many programs in place that want to help victims through advocacy, support and awareness,” said Kendeldrick Broaden, a senior psychology major and peer educator for COPE.

Broaden also spoke about the importance of students holding each other accountable and the need to implement more forums where students engage in these particular conversations.

“Things like this happen all of the time,” Broaden said. “Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.”

For more information on COPE, contact Kimberly Martin at kmartin@miami.edu. Those interested in TIA should contact blackchild at ccf22@miami.edu.

Nyah Tennell

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...