Athletics, Football, Sports

Plans for new facility brings excitement to the U

Miami Hurricanes football officially announced the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility with a short video released last Friday, showing a blueprint and plans for the new $34 million facility.

Students and community fans are excited for the new facility, which is an important addition to the program and its recruitment of new players.

“I think having the indoor practice facility is just another step in returning the U to its historical greatness,” junior Hunter Sable said. “With this addition and continued renovations of athletic facilities, along with our brand partnership with Adidas, the U is becoming increasingly desirable under Mark Richt.”

The football team, as expected, has been put constantly under the spotlight. With the unveiling of the new uniforms at the Rathskeller two weeks ago, and this highly-anticipated announcement, the team is grabbing the attention of fans it never had before.

“I usually don’t care much about sports, but I’ve loved that we’ve been playing so well and are ranked this year,” sophomore Chelsea Sanzone said. “I’m hoping we can keep improving going into the future, so whatever it takes to get there, I support it.”

The practice facility is expected to be completed in 2018. It will be a state-of-the-art, 81,800-square-foot building located on the south side of the Greentree Practice Fields. This indoor practice area will not only be important for keeping the athletes cooler on hot days, but it will also allow for the team to practice on any day, at any time, regardless of the weather.

The University of Miami is the only Power 5 conference school without an indoor practice space. The facility will hopefully attract new athletes to the U.

“The biggest criticism of the Miami athletic department over the last decade has been the lack of focus on facilities, particularly an indoor practice facility for football,” Sports Administration Professor Windy Dees said. “Building this complex should strengthen Miami’s image and help return them to national prominence in a multitude of areas including recruiting, training and branding.”

The facility will not only bring in new talent, but it will also keep the current football players motivated and looking toward the future of their team.

“We are extremely excited for the new facility,” wide receiver Braxton Berrios said. “Not only will it be huge in preparation for games, but it will also be incredibly helpful in the recruiting process. It’s a long overdue project.”

The facility will also include a recruiting suite, meeting rooms, coaches’ offices, views of the other fields and connections to the Hecht Athletic Center weight room and the Schwartz Center’s player locker room.

The new practice area is being funded completely by donors. The largest donation so far has been $14 million from billionaire real estate developer Jeffrey Soffer and his family. The donation, made in honor of Soffer’s mother, Carol, is the largest in UM athletics history. One million dollars has also been donated by Head Coach Mark Richt and his wife, Katharyn. Construction of the facility will only begin once the entire $34 million is raised. To donate or find out more information, visit HurricanesFootballFacility.com.

About Author

Amy Grundleger

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...