Edge, Movies, Reviews

Disney’s ‘Queen of Katwe’ celebrates opportunity in unlikely places

Update, [2:48 p.m.], [Oct. 3, 2016]: [The location of the interview was added to the story.]

“Queen of Katwe,” Disney’s latest motion picture, tells the powerful true story of a girl from rural Uganda whose world is changed when she discovers her hidden talent for chess.

In the film, Phiona Mutesi (Madina Nalwanga) finds herself at home in a small chess club in the impoverished suburb of Katwe run by Robert Katende (David Oyelowo). Katende quickly notices Phiona’s potential as a chess player and sees an opportunity to give her the education her mother had always wanted for her.

The film explores themes of family, perseverance and love. Oyelowo said he believes these are all crucial to the film’s message.

“We can watch the film and see what is amazing, what is exemplary, what is inspiring, and learn,” Oyelowo said while speaking to journalists at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Brickell to promote the film.

“Queen of Katwe” was shot almost entirely on location in Katwe, Uganda. Oyelowo said that seeing the poverty and disease first-hand moved him.

“One of the most inspiring things about shooting this film in Katwe, Uganda is … the amount of joy they still manage to have in the midst of all this,” Oyelowo said, referring to the local children and their living conditions. “Hopefully that can inspire anyone, anywhere.”

Oyelowo’s character is a coach at a small chess academy in the film. He owes a large part of his success to his ability to connect with his pupils on a personal level.

“Even though he is a grown up … he can understand who they are and what they need at a given moment,” Oyelowo said.

Like Katende, Oyelowo had a great relationship with the kids in the film.

“I really enjoyed any scene with the kids, because I learned so much from being around them,” Oyelowo said.

While shooting, he took the kids to a theater in Kampala. It was the first time many of them had seen a film, including Nalwanga.

While Nalwanga is new to the big screen, her co-star Lupita Nyong’o, who plays Phiona’s mother, is a veteran. Nyong’o won the 2012 Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for “12 Years a Slave.” More recently, she’s voiced the role of Raksha, the mother wolf, in Disney’s “The Jungle Book.”

Oyelowo is also well-known to the big screen, primarily for his award-winning role as Martin Luther King Jr. in the biographical drama “Selma.”

The film was directed by Mira Nair, an accomplished director, writer, producer and activist known for her films “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” and “Words with Gods,” both of which challenge traditional worldviews and break stereotypical boundaries.

Filming “Queen of Katwe” wasn’t Nair’s first time in Uganda. She established a nonprofit filmmaker’s laboratory in Kampala, Uganda in 2005, where young African directors have been trained to tell their stories through film.

A chess academy is currently being built in Katwe, and Disney is “keeping a close eye” on the education of the children there, particularly the ones who were in the film, according to Oyelowo.

“Queen of Katwe” will be playing in theaters everywhere on Sept. 30.

David Ufberg

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Disney’s ‘Queen of Katwe’ celebrates opportunity in unlikely places”

1. Lexee Shapiro says:

This story is extremely well-written and informative. I have seen the movie trailer for “Queen of Katwe” several times and I think the film seems extremely interesting. Like several other Disney films, “Queen of Katwe” seems to have a common theme of inspiration and triumph, which I noticed when I watched the trailer. This story enhanced my knowledge of the film by including direct quotes from actor David Oyelowo. The direct quotes from David Oyelowo really exemplify what it was like to shoot this movie on location in Uganda. I also like how reporter David Ufberg explains how the cast bonded throughout filming and it is interesting that Ufberg reported on the director of “Queen of Katwe,” Mira Nair, and her prior experiences in Uganda. Overall, I think this story furthered my knowledge of the film and made me more excited to see the film since I now know detailed information about the actors and director.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...