Edge, Movies, Reviews

Disney’s ‘Queen of Katwe’ celebrates opportunity in unlikely places

Update, [2:48 p.m.], [Oct. 3, 2016]: [The location of the interview was added to the story.]

“Queen of Katwe,” Disney’s latest motion picture, tells the powerful true story of a girl from rural Uganda whose world is changed when she discovers her hidden talent for chess.

In the film, Phiona Mutesi (Madina Nalwanga) finds herself at home in a small chess club in the impoverished suburb of Katwe run by Robert Katende (David Oyelowo). Katende quickly notices Phiona’s potential as a chess player and sees an opportunity to give her the education her mother had always wanted for her.

The film explores themes of family, perseverance and love. Oyelowo said he believes these are all crucial to the film’s message.

“We can watch the film and see what is amazing, what is exemplary, what is inspiring, and learn,” Oyelowo said while speaking to journalists at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Brickell to promote the film.

“Queen of Katwe” was shot almost entirely on location in Katwe, Uganda. Oyelowo said that seeing the poverty and disease first-hand moved him.

“One of the most inspiring things about shooting this film in Katwe, Uganda is … the amount of joy they still manage to have in the midst of all this,” Oyelowo said, referring to the local children and their living conditions. “Hopefully that can inspire anyone, anywhere.”

Oyelowo’s character is a coach at a small chess academy in the film. He owes a large part of his success to his ability to connect with his pupils on a personal level.

“Even though he is a grown up … he can understand who they are and what they need at a given moment,” Oyelowo said.

Like Katende, Oyelowo had a great relationship with the kids in the film.

“I really enjoyed any scene with the kids, because I learned so much from being around them,” Oyelowo said.

While shooting, he took the kids to a theater in Kampala. It was the first time many of them had seen a film, including Nalwanga.

While Nalwanga is new to the big screen, her co-star Lupita Nyong’o, who plays Phiona’s mother, is a veteran. Nyong’o won the 2012 Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for “12 Years a Slave.” More recently, she’s voiced the role of Raksha, the mother wolf, in Disney’s “The Jungle Book.”

Oyelowo is also well-known to the big screen, primarily for his award-winning role as Martin Luther King Jr. in the biographical drama “Selma.”

The film was directed by Mira Nair, an accomplished director, writer, producer and activist known for her films “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” and “Words with Gods,” both of which challenge traditional worldviews and break stereotypical boundaries.

Filming “Queen of Katwe” wasn’t Nair’s first time in Uganda. She established a nonprofit filmmaker’s laboratory in Kampala, Uganda in 2005, where young African directors have been trained to tell their stories through film.

A chess academy is currently being built in Katwe, and Disney is “keeping a close eye” on the education of the children there, particularly the ones who were in the film, according to Oyelowo.

“Queen of Katwe” will be playing in theaters everywhere on Sept. 30.

About Author

David Ufberg

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Disney’s ‘Queen of Katwe’ celebrates opportunity in unlikely places”

1. Lexee Shapiro says:

This story is extremely well-written and informative. I have seen the movie trailer for “Queen of Katwe” several times and I think the film seems extremely interesting. Like several other Disney films, “Queen of Katwe” seems to have a common theme of inspiration and triumph, which I noticed when I watched the trailer. This story enhanced my knowledge of the film by including direct quotes from actor David Oyelowo. The direct quotes from David Oyelowo really exemplify what it was like to shoot this movie on location in Uganda. I also like how reporter David Ufberg explains how the cast bonded throughout filming and it is interesting that Ufberg reported on the director of “Queen of Katwe,” Mira Nair, and her prior experiences in Uganda. Overall, I think this story furthered my knowledge of the film and made me more excited to see the film since I now know detailed information about the actors and director.

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...