Dear V

Dear V: Moans n’ groans bit too much in bed

I’ve been dating a guy for a few months, and we just started having sex. The first time we had sex, I noticed he makes weird sounds…Like, I’m talking very weird. He moans like a cat in heat and grunts like an old man trying to get out of a recliner.

Now, I’m not trying to sound too picky in between the sheets. I know people have different ways of expressing themselves, and I’m glad he’s having a good time. But it distracts me from my own ability to let go and enjoy myself. I’m too busy trying to pretend I didn’t notice that last dramatic grunt or whimper.

I don’t want to have to ask my guy to shut up in the sheets, but I don’t know how else to solve this problem. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Silent Silvia

Dear Silent Silvia,

Wow – sounds like you’ve got a real performer on your hands. To some, that’s a treat, but to others, it’s a bit uncomfortable to hear your man get overly vocal in the sack. Now, let’s just be grateful you’re not facing the opposite problem – radio silence is a buzzkill.

Have you tried earplugs? I’m sure you can find a way to make ‘em sexy.

In all seriousness, though, you’re going to have to ask your guy to lower the volume. The more decibels, the less fun you’re having, and it takes two to tango. It’s not fair for him to be having all the fun while you’re lying there simply attending his one-man concert.

That said, there may be a sensitive way to broach the subject. Instead of jumping straight into “Hey, you’re way too loud in bed,” which will make him feel self-conscious next time you two hit the hay, maybe you can take advantage of this situation instead.

Try having sex in fun, risky places, and remind him that he’ll have to stay quiet so you two don’t get caught. You get the added bonus of a little bit of adventure, plus, he’ll simmer down a bit.

Sneak into the changing room next time you’re in the mall and give things a go.

If that doesn’t work, it may be time to firmly suggest he use his inside voice. Try to be nice while asking, but don’t shy away from the subject.

I mean, there’s plenty of creative ways to get your guy to hush up. Duct tape exists. Oh, and so do muzzles and ball gags.

Have fun, kids.

-V

About Author

V Advice Columnist

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...