Dear V

Dear V: Moans n’ groans bit too much in bed

I’ve been dating a guy for a few months, and we just started having sex. The first time we had sex, I noticed he makes weird sounds…Like, I’m talking very weird. He moans like a cat in heat and grunts like an old man trying to get out of a recliner.

Now, I’m not trying to sound too picky in between the sheets. I know people have different ways of expressing themselves, and I’m glad he’s having a good time. But it distracts me from my own ability to let go and enjoy myself. I’m too busy trying to pretend I didn’t notice that last dramatic grunt or whimper.

I don’t want to have to ask my guy to shut up in the sheets, but I don’t know how else to solve this problem. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Silent Silvia

Dear Silent Silvia,

Wow – sounds like you’ve got a real performer on your hands. To some, that’s a treat, but to others, it’s a bit uncomfortable to hear your man get overly vocal in the sack. Now, let’s just be grateful you’re not facing the opposite problem – radio silence is a buzzkill.

Have you tried earplugs? I’m sure you can find a way to make ‘em sexy.

In all seriousness, though, you’re going to have to ask your guy to lower the volume. The more decibels, the less fun you’re having, and it takes two to tango. It’s not fair for him to be having all the fun while you’re lying there simply attending his one-man concert.

That said, there may be a sensitive way to broach the subject. Instead of jumping straight into “Hey, you’re way too loud in bed,” which will make him feel self-conscious next time you two hit the hay, maybe you can take advantage of this situation instead.

Try having sex in fun, risky places, and remind him that he’ll have to stay quiet so you two don’t get caught. You get the added bonus of a little bit of adventure, plus, he’ll simmer down a bit.

Sneak into the changing room next time you’re in the mall and give things a go.

If that doesn’t work, it may be time to firmly suggest he use his inside voice. Try to be nice while asking, but don’t shy away from the subject.

I mean, there’s plenty of creative ways to get your guy to hush up. Duct tape exists. Oh, and so do muzzles and ball gags.

Have fun, kids.

-V

Advice Columnist

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...