Campus Life, Election 2016, News, Video

UM students watch first presidential debate at Fieldhouse

Members of the University of Miami community packed the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse for 2016’s first and arguably one of the most highly-anticipated presidential debates in American politics.

Radio station 610 WIOD hosted live with professor Fernand Amandi from a platform at the front of the room, which was mostly dark except for side walls saturated with red and blue light. The partisan color scheme was not reflected in the crowd, however, when attendees voted on who would win the debate ahead of the start of the program.

Clinton won with 76 percent of the audience vote. Her supporters were vocal throughout the debate – cheering when she made strong proclamations and policy statements, and laughing when she rolled her eyes at Trump’s jeers – though the pro-Trump crowd was just as engaged.

This is what students had to say before the debate:

Ali Galetti, a senior majoring in political science and economics, is an American-born citizen but spent most of her life overseas. She started at UM as an international student from Brussels, Belgium. She said she plans on registering to vote in Florida on Sept. 27, National Voter Registration Day.

“I focus on foreign policy. That’s really what I’ve been listening in on. For me, it’s ‘What are they saying about how the U.S. is going to act with the world?’ particularly with China and the Middle East,” she said.

Miguel Hernández, a sophomore majoring in public health and political science, attended the watch party because he is enrolled in the Election 2016 course. He said being born in Communist Cuba and moving to the United States when he was two years old helped shape his interest in politics.

“I’ve learned from past experiences and from my family that political participation is so important,” he said. “Everyone should participate in government because we’re all living in it.”

Hernández said he was expecting “dirty laundry everywhere” during the debate, but his mind was set on voting for Clinton because her views aligned with his as a liberal.

“Nothing is really going to swing my vote tonight,” he said.

Sara-Teresa Pelaez, a freshman political science major, is also in the Election 2016 class. Pelaez said the class has been a very unique and beneficial experience. She said she got an internship with Congressman Joe García after he visited the class earlier this month.

“Not only are we learning, but it’s really giving us networking opportunities and opportunities for growth as political science students,” she said.

Pelaez will vote in a presidential election for the first time in her life on Nov. 8, and it will be a rare opportunity to have a lasting impact on America, she said.

“This is probably one of the most interesting elections that we’re going to see in our lifetimes and we’re here, in a swing state in a swing district. That is amazing,” she said. “We are in the correct time and place to actually have a voice and for our voices to be heard. How rare is that for college students?”

For Pelaez, who is registered Independent, this means voting for Clinton because she could be a “decent” president as opposed to the other option of Trump.

img_2557

Sara-Teresa Pelaez, freshman, political science major

“We have someone who is unstable and who is amoral. And who is possibly a narcissist, and I mean that in the clinical sense,” she said. “There is no equivalency here. I am voting for Hillary Clinton because there is no other option.”

Pelaez said she was not disappointed with her candidate’s performance in the debate, although she had been initially nervous that Clinton would not hold her own against the giant persona of Trump.

“… She proved me entirely wrong. She came correcting. She came so prepared. She did not let him get away with anything. But at the same time, she never lost that respectability, composure and professionalism that I think really makes her a viable presidential candidate,” she said.

For more coverage of the Election 2016, follow TMH on Facebook, Twitter (@miamihurricane) and Instagram (@themiamihurricane).

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UM students watch first presidential debate at Fieldhouse”

1. Zihan Huang says:

As an international student, I also watched this debate. The debate referred to China many times, most of them brought up by Trump. In his opening statement, China was blamed for stealing jobs from Americans, for devaluing its currency and for engaging in state-sponsored cyber hacking. For my personal view, Hilary will give China more flexibility than Trump.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...