Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: Let me tell you about bad lab partners…

You ever had a bad lab partner? It’s a pretty tough spot to be in. They eat away at you, steal all your hard work and turn it into profit for them. You really, really want to tell your professor that they haven’t done anything to contribute, but what if they contest what you said? What if they manage to convince your professor that they have contributed and you’re just an asshole? Well, that’s the situation I’ve found myself in this semester with not one person, but two.

I have three labs that require partners this semester and only one of them is an adequate partner. He’s more than adequate actually; he’s amazing and awesome and I couldn’t ask for a better partner. My other two partners are terrible, and the ways in which they’re terrible change from week to week. Let’s call them Suzy and Betty.

Suzy never seems to have anything to add to the conversation. I ask her a question or try to get her input and it’s always “I don’t know” or “Yeah.” She absolutely refuses to exercise her brain in any context for the lab. However, Suzy seems to know she’s lacking in the “doing the lab” department because she makes up for it in other ways. She is very flexible, doing her best to move around her schedule so we always have time during the week to complete the lab and, since we turn in a single lab report, she always does research to complete the lab report. So, while Suzy is a bad lab partner, she is not the worst, just really irritating.

Betty, on the other had, is the epitome of a bad lab partner. Other than installing the program to her computer, she can’t do anything by herself. She has the lab laptop, so she can work on it at home if we don’t finish it. This would be great, except that she can’t do anything without me holding her hand. When we don’t finish, I’ll explain how to do it to her in the lab, I expect her to finish that part that night, and we’ll meet in the morning to get more work done.

When we meet in the morning, she not only shows up late, but also hasn’t made any progress since I told her how to do it. Sometimes she lies to me, says she’s tested the assignment even though you have to add another separate file to test it, so there’s no way she’s tested it. It’s aggravating!

When I talked to her about it, she says it’s a language barrier, but she can communicate very effectively about the things she cares about just fine in English, so I don’t think that’s it. I’m tired of her disrespecting my time and not contributing to this lab, but I also don’t want to force her to pull her own weight, not because I’m nice, but because I don’t want a bad grade.

Having a bad lab partner is an awful position to be in, but sometimes it happens. You should always talk with your lab partners if they ever mistreat you or ride through the class on your work; I know I will. However, if the situation doesn’t get any better, talk to your professor and tell the truth. Tell them about how you’re trying your best and you feel like you’re doing the lab alone. It’s all you can do, and you really shouldn’t be working on a lab that’s meant for two people by yourself.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user felixioncool

About Author

Virginia Colkley

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...