Sports, Volleyball

Miami volleyball falls to No. 15 FSU, 3-0

The volleyball team lost to rival No. 15 Florida State 3-0 in a tough Friday night for Miami.

The first set was tightly contested early, but a service error on the 12th point of the match by sophomore outside hitter Kolby Bird sparked a 10-0 run for the Seminoles (8-2, 1-0 ACC). The quick 16-5 deficit proved insurmountable. The Canes (6-7, 0-1 ACC) finished the set with two more service errors and seven attacking errors, leading to a 25-12 loss.

While the second set was more closely contested, the end result remained the same. Outside hitters Anna Haak and Olga Strantzali were responsible for three kills each, but FSU grabbed an early 2-0 lead by winning the second set 25-15.

The third set started off very differently, and fans saw glimpses of Miami’s full potential. After jumping off to a quick 6-1 lead anchored by three aces from preseason All-ACC Strantzali, the Hurricanes remained in control later in the game with a 13-9 lead. Freshman setter Hannah Sorensen, who finished the match with 25 assists, was connecting with all of Miami’s hitters early on this set, providing some silver lining to the game.

Unfortunately, Florida State went on a 7-2 run after the quick start by Miami and eventually pulled away, winning the final set 25-19 and living up to its national rank. The Canes as a team finished with 31 kills and 21 attack errors, rounding out a very disappointing .095 hit percentage. Haak was perhaps the biggest bright spot for the Hurricanes throughout the match, as she continued her breakout season with a team-high 13 kills.

Miami will take on Notre Dame on Sunday at 1 p.m. in their ACC home opener at Knight Sports Complex.

About Author

Carson Coudriet

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...