News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Voter awareness, smoking fines, Freshman Leadership Council

Senators discuss constituent outreach

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz questioned how effectively senators spread awareness to their voters.

Some senators send out information in mass email s to voters through listservs in their respective schools of study. However, the majority of the senators share information through word of mouth, a strategy Zuchniarz said doesn’t reach enough people.

In order to improve outreach, Zuchniarz asked the Senate for ideas. Commuter Senator, Liztiffany Couceiro, suggested a partnership with UMTV to broadcast a panel of senators answering questions from their voters. David Mejia, also a commuter senator, suggested setting up senator tables at events the Senate co-sponsors. During these events, students could approach and ask them questions.

“We could do a lot to improve our outreach,” Mejia said.

This week is Student Government Awareness week.

UM cracking down on smoking

Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told the senators to watch out for smokers on campus. UM will begin to fine repeat offender students upward of $50 for smoking.

“Confront the person and remind them that there’s no smoking allowed on this campus,” Hall said.

Hall said if you get a picture of their Cane Card, it can be sent to him at doso@miami.edu.

Freshman Leadership Council

A new group of students have been chosen for the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC), a group that is made up of freshmen and is under the Executive Branch of Student Government. Twenty students were chosen out of 72 applicants who interviewed.

Ashley Pittaluga, vice president of Student Government, said FLC’s main goal is to build students into leaders so they are prepared no matter where they go.

“We were looking for students with potential. These are students who would benefit a lot from this and launch them into leadership,” she said.

Notes:

President Frenk will visit Senate on Oct. 8 at 4:30 p.m. The meeting is open to all students.

UMPD Safety Fair is on Sept. 28 at 10 a.m. on the Rock.

A co-sponsorship bill for Homecoming passed. The Homecoming Executive Committee will receive $500 in co-sponsorship funding from SG.

Jorge Chabo

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...