News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Voter awareness, smoking fines, Freshman Leadership Council

Senators discuss constituent outreach

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz questioned how effectively senators spread awareness to their voters.

Some senators send out information in mass email s to voters through listservs in their respective schools of study. However, the majority of the senators share information through word of mouth, a strategy Zuchniarz said doesn’t reach enough people.

In order to improve outreach, Zuchniarz asked the Senate for ideas. Commuter Senator, Liztiffany Couceiro, suggested a partnership with UMTV to broadcast a panel of senators answering questions from their voters. David Mejia, also a commuter senator, suggested setting up senator tables at events the Senate co-sponsors. During these events, students could approach and ask them questions.

“We could do a lot to improve our outreach,” Mejia said.

This week is Student Government Awareness week.

UM cracking down on smoking

Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told the senators to watch out for smokers on campus. UM will begin to fine repeat offender students upward of $50 for smoking.

“Confront the person and remind them that there’s no smoking allowed on this campus,” Hall said.

Hall said if you get a picture of their Cane Card, it can be sent to him at doso@miami.edu.

Freshman Leadership Council

A new group of students have been chosen for the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC), a group that is made up of freshmen and is under the Executive Branch of Student Government. Twenty students were chosen out of 72 applicants who interviewed.

Ashley Pittaluga, vice president of Student Government, said FLC’s main goal is to build students into leaders so they are prepared no matter where they go.

“We were looking for students with potential. These are students who would benefit a lot from this and launch them into leadership,” she said.

Notes:

President Frenk will visit Senate on Oct. 8 at 4:30 p.m. The meeting is open to all students.

UMPD Safety Fair is on Sept. 28 at 10 a.m. on the Rock.

A co-sponsorship bill for Homecoming passed. The Homecoming Executive Committee will receive $500 in co-sponsorship funding from SG.

Jorge Chabo

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...