Executive board seeks out student population with Awareness Week

Senior Student Government Senator Robert Renfro gives junior Olivia Gassner a raffle ticket at the “Get To Know Your Senators" event, hosted as part of Student Government Awareness Week, Wednesday afternoon on the Lakeside Patio. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Senior Student Government Senator Robert Renfro gives junior Olivia Gassner a raffle ticket at the “Get To Know Your Senators” event, hosted as part of Student Government Awareness Week, Wednesday afternoon on the Lakeside Patio. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Student Government (SG) Awareness Week aims to make the Executive Board more accessible to students by listening to their concerns and sharing in-progress initiatives.

SG kicked off the week on Monday on the Lakeside Patio with free Chick-fil-A sandwiches and a lottery for a $50 gift card to The Campus Store. The event served as a casual introduction to the student leaders on campus.

President Vikesh Patel, Vice President Ashley Pittaluga and Treasurer Morgan Owens were elected during the 2016 spring semester. They are now  setting their sights on goals for the upcoming year.

“We want to advocate for students; to work with faculty and staff on what they want to see,” Patel said. “We are very student oriented, listening to what they want and help deliver it to them.”

SG aims to forge a bridge between students and university officials. With 103 initiatives already planned, SG sees Awareness Week as a platform to learn more about student needs.

One initiative is Wi-Fi on shuttle buses to the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) campus.

“We were targeting RSMAS because of the commute and we worked with Parking and Transportation for this,” Patel said. “We got the phone call around two weeks ago that it was all set and finalized, ready to be launched within the week or two.”

Another in-progress plan is improving the university’s directory by expanding search options. Owens said the proposed directory would allow students to search for people based on their positions and appointments.

“This is a resource for students to find not only professors but other faculty members that they may not be able to find on Outlook,” he said.

With many more initiatives in mind, Pittaluga also wants to raise more awareness to students about SG to let them know that they are there to help.

“Outreach is in the plans, we are here for the students and want to be that point of contact for them,” Pittaluga said. “We want to be present and available.”

After being elected in March, the three leaders quickly sought out their predecessors to learn more about their roles. During the summer, they met with administrators to discuss potential initiatives and future university plans.

Being among the first few to learn about the changes allowed them to hit the ground running this semester. So far, the SG leaders are enjoying their positions.

“A second ago I feel that we were at the BankUnited Center during Orientation, seeing the seniors in Student Government address us,” Pittaluga said. “And now, I’m thinking, ‘How did we get here?’ It all happened so fast. We see our futures and all the potential of the future of the incoming students. The future of the university.”

SG Awareness Week

Thursday – First late-night dining, hosted by SG as a way for students to meet the E-Board, will be from 11 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Friday – Canes After Dark “Around the World,” from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

About Author

Marcus Lim

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Executive board seeks out student population with Awareness Week”

1. Morgan Owens says:

The photo caption is inaccurate. Robert Renfro is a senior, but he is not a senior Senator. He is the Executive-at-Large, External.

2. JIaqi Wang says:

Student Government ‘ President Vikesh Patel, Vice President Ashley Pittaluga and Treasurer Morgan Owens were elected during the 2016 spring semester setting a goal to help students to improve the university’s directory by expanding search options. They also worked with Parking and Transportation… I think the SG did a lot for helping student for their convenience, they try their best to listen to student’s need and think about the best solutions to help them.

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...