Dear V

Dear V: Girlfriend letting go of her appearance

I’ve been dating my girlfriend for three years. I’ll be honest, I’m an attractive guy. I’m all about getting gains, I’m focused on my swoleness and I never skip leg day.

All jokes aside, I keep myself in tip-top shape. My girlfriend does too, or at least she used to. Lately, she’s let herself go.

I’m not saying I’m not attracted to her anymore – I love my girlfriend for what’s on the inside, not the outside – but the fact is, we first met each other at the gym. We’re both gym rats, and we both believe staying in shape is important.

That’s why I’m not sure why my girlfriend is no longer putting in effort. She doesn’t wear makeup anymore, she’s always in PJs or sweats and she’s gained about 15 pounds in the last two months.

Like I said, I love my girlfriend for who she is, not what she looks like. But it feels unfair that I’m putting in effort to stay attractive and she’s suddenly not trying anymore.

I’ve thought about asking her what happened, but I’m afraid of hurting her feelings. How do I bring this up the right way?

Sincerely,

Swoleness McGainz

Dear Swoleness McGainz,

You’re not being narcissistic or superficial by expecting your girlfriend to keep in shape.

If she was in shape when you started dating, then there’s clearly been a change. Sure, you love her for who she is, but ultimately, it’s important that a couple is physically attracted to each other, too. If one partner stays in shape and the other doesn’t, that can lead to infidelity or resentment.

That said, it sounds like something’s going on with your girlfriend.

It seems odd that she’d suddenly get too comfortable and lose control of her appearance now, after three years. That kind of thing is usually a gradual change, but this sounds like a sudden shift.

Has your girlfriend’s mood changed dramatically? Could something with her family, school or work be causing this? There may be an emotional or medical issue.

Instead of asking her why she’s no longer maintaining her appearance, take a compassionate approach. Say you’ve noticed she’s not acting like her usual self and ask what’s up.

If it turns out that everything is fine and she’s not depressed, too stressed out or sick, feel free to mention keeping in shape. If it’s true that she’s gotten too comfortable, she might need a reminder to keep up with her squats and beauty routine.

Suggest spending some quality time together with a trip to the gym.

-V

Advice Columnist

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...