Soccer, Sports

Canes soccer challenge No. 3 FSU, but fall 1-0

The Hurricanes gave the No. 3 Florida State Seminoles just about all the team could handle Sunday afternoon but couldn’t quite pull off the upset, finishing with a 1-0 loss in a game that included a rain delay at Seminole Soccer Complex.

The Canes (5-4-0) had an all-around impressive performance on both sides of the ball. They tied for the most shots on goal allowed by the Seminoles (7-1-0) all season, while at the same time holding FSU to its lowest shot output of the season. Despite playing a closely contested match, a first half goal by Seminoles’ forward Deyna Castellanos would be too much for the Hurricanes in their first ACC conference game of the year.

Miami attempted the game’s first four shots, not allowing Florida State an attempt at the goal until the 15th minute. The Hurricanes dominated possession in the beginning of the first half and constantly challenged Seminoles goalkeeper Cassie Miller. The lone goal came off a Miami mistake, when the Hurricanes attempted to clear the ball out of their own end of the field. A deflection off a player handed the ball to Castellanos directly in front of the goal, giving way to an easy score.

The Canes’ defense bounced back quickly. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the Seminoles attack in check for the remainder of the game even after a two hour and 19-minute rain delay.

Miami’s offense was aggressive throughout the match, but could not find a way to score despite taking nine shots.  The closest scoring opportunity for the Hurricanes came on a missed one-on-one chance when freshman forward Kristina Fisher rushed toward the goalkeeper in the second half.

Miami hopes to get its first conference win of the year against No. 5 Virginia on at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Ben Bokun

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...