Soccer, Sports

Canes soccer challenge No. 3 FSU, but fall 1-0

The Hurricanes gave the No. 3 Florida State Seminoles just about all the team could handle Sunday afternoon but couldn’t quite pull off the upset, finishing with a 1-0 loss in a game that included a rain delay at Seminole Soccer Complex.

The Canes (5-4-0) had an all-around impressive performance on both sides of the ball. They tied for the most shots on goal allowed by the Seminoles (7-1-0) all season, while at the same time holding FSU to its lowest shot output of the season. Despite playing a closely contested match, a first half goal by Seminoles’ forward Deyna Castellanos would be too much for the Hurricanes in their first ACC conference game of the year.

Miami attempted the game’s first four shots, not allowing Florida State an attempt at the goal until the 15th minute. The Hurricanes dominated possession in the beginning of the first half and constantly challenged Seminoles goalkeeper Cassie Miller. The lone goal came off a Miami mistake, when the Hurricanes attempted to clear the ball out of their own end of the field. A deflection off a player handed the ball to Castellanos directly in front of the goal, giving way to an easy score.

The Canes’ defense bounced back quickly. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the Seminoles attack in check for the remainder of the game even after a two hour and 19-minute rain delay.

Miami’s offense was aggressive throughout the match, but could not find a way to score despite taking nine shots.  The closest scoring opportunity for the Hurricanes came on a missed one-on-one chance when freshman forward Kristina Fisher rushed toward the goalkeeper in the second half.

Miami hopes to get its first conference win of the year against No. 5 Virginia on at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Ben Bokun

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...