News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Student Health Service speakers offer flu shots, 2 financial bills pass

Speakers visit senate

Student Health Service speakers brought flu shots along with them for senators to receive during the Senate meeting. They spoke to SG about the importance of getting flu shots. In order to allow all students the opportunity to get a shot, Student Health Service will have them available at the Student Health building across the Pavia Garage.

A representative from Procter & Gamble, a consumer goods company, also came to speak to SG about two internship opportunities available. One opportunity is open to juniors and seniors and is held over the summer in one of their biggest clients’ cities including Minneapolis and Seattle.

The other is an opportunity for current sophomores. It is a sales leadership conference in Cincinnati. More information can be found at the Toppel Career Center or at us.pg.com.

“We want people who are leaders and problem solvers,” the representative said.

Finally, Massiel Leiva from IMPACT visited Senate to inform them about a conference on leadership taking place over fall break. Available to freshman, sophomores and transfer students, this event features activities and talks designated to teaching students about the qualities of a leader.

Budget and funding bills pass

Two bills were presented to Senate today. One that would grant National Gandhi Day of Service $750 of co-sponsorship funding, and the other that was a ratification to the current academic year budget.

The budget totals to $37,425 for Student Government, spread throughout its branches. Most of the budget goes toward the executive branch with their top fund being “UOutreach.”

Both bills passed with little need for discussion.

Notes:

• Amazon Lockers are being considered on campus. They would be a convenient way to pick up or return orders.

Jorge Chabo

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...