News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Student Health Service speakers offer flu shots, 2 financial bills pass

Speakers visit senate

Student Health Service speakers brought flu shots along with them for senators to receive during the Senate meeting. They spoke to SG about the importance of getting flu shots. In order to allow all students the opportunity to get a shot, Student Health Service will have them available at the Student Health building across the Pavia Garage.

A representative from Procter & Gamble, a consumer goods company, also came to speak to SG about two internship opportunities available. One opportunity is open to juniors and seniors and is held over the summer in one of their biggest clients’ cities including Minneapolis and Seattle.

The other is an opportunity for current sophomores. It is a sales leadership conference in Cincinnati. More information can be found at the Toppel Career Center or at us.pg.com.

“We want people who are leaders and problem solvers,” the representative said.

Finally, Massiel Leiva from IMPACT visited Senate to inform them about a conference on leadership taking place over fall break. Available to freshman, sophomores and transfer students, this event features activities and talks designated to teaching students about the qualities of a leader.

Budget and funding bills pass

Two bills were presented to Senate today. One that would grant National Gandhi Day of Service $750 of co-sponsorship funding, and the other that was a ratification to the current academic year budget.

The budget totals to $37,425 for Student Government, spread throughout its branches. Most of the budget goes toward the executive branch with their top fund being “UOutreach.”

Both bills passed with little need for discussion.

Notes:

• Amazon Lockers are being considered on campus. They would be a convenient way to pick up or return orders.

Jorge Chabo

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...