Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested

Hurricanes freshman power forward Dewan Huell was arrested for battery charges on Tuesday.

“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night, and we are gathering information,” University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement released by the school. “I have very high expectations for all of our student athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”

According to a police report obtained by Andy Slater of WINZ, Huell attacked another man whom he found with his ex-girlfriend in her dorm on the FIU campus. The incident left the other man with scrapes on his neck and torso.

The 6-foot-11 Huell, who was Miami basketball’s top recruit and rated No. 21 overall by ESPN, is expected to contribute in a big way for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. He averaged 19.2 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior at Miami Norland High School where he led his team to three state championships and was a McDonald’s All-American last season.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and Huell are scheduled to meet to discuss the incident as Canes fans await more news regarding the situation.

About Author

Josh White

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested”

1. Christian Liljenquist says:

It sees like this stuff happens more often than it used to. A star player gets arrested for doing something he shouldn’t do not only hurts his career and reputation, but the reputation of his team and teammates. He should think before doing something idiotic like that.

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...