Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested

Hurricanes freshman power forward Dewan Huell was arrested for battery charges on Tuesday.

“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night, and we are gathering information,” University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement released by the school. “I have very high expectations for all of our student athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”

According to a police report obtained by Andy Slater of WINZ, Huell attacked another man whom he found with his ex-girlfriend in her dorm on the FIU campus. The incident left the other man with scrapes on his neck and torso.

The 6-foot-11 Huell, who was Miami basketball’s top recruit and rated No. 21 overall by ESPN, is expected to contribute in a big way for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. He averaged 19.2 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior at Miami Norland High School where he led his team to three state championships and was a McDonald’s All-American last season.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and Huell are scheduled to meet to discuss the incident as Canes fans await more news regarding the situation.

Josh White

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...