Opinion, Satire

Poll confirms 10 out of 10 girls are impressed with your gym gains

The University of Miami sociology department recently conducted a poll in partnership with the Herbert Swoleness Center to test how female gym-goers feel about the lifting abilities of their male counterparts. The results were conclusive, if not obvious: 100 percent of girls are legitimately impressed at how strong you are.

“I don’t know why this was even in question,” said sophomore Brian Stanley while sporting a UM Orientation 2015 T-shirt with the sleeves crudely cut off and his mandatory, widely used workout towel to clean sweat off machines. “It’s not like we didn’t know this already.”

The sociology department struggled to obtain funding for a research project with such obvious results. After months of attempting to convince administration, researchers finally received the necessary grant.

“We hypothesized that intelligence and scientific capacity were just as important to women as muscles are,” said cardio nerd Dr. Alan Jefferies. “Brains over gains, if you will.”

The results proved them wrong, resoundingly.

UM researchers polled hundreds of female students over the course of the last two semesters, and the results were overwhelming. The study concluded that every girl in the gym loves it if you’re really strong. In addition, the study found that a majority of female students actually go to the gym not for their personal health but to flirt with strangers.

“At first I was annoyed when some guy showed blatant disrespect in interrupting my workout to correct my lunge form, but then he told me that he puts up 225 so it was okay,” said junior Megan Miller. “I was happy to pull out my ear buds mid-Ibis Express Circuit to chat.”

Miller also added that outward displays of toxic masculinity are a requirement for any man who wants to connect with her on an emotional basis.

Certain students and outsiders have expressed concern over the vanity and focus on superficial appearance in our campus culture. But following the results of this study, it is conclusive that this criticism stems from jealous cardio freaks. For now, male students who wish to socialize with women should spend more time in the gym, surrounded by fellow weight-lifting men.

Conner Barrett is a sophomore majoring in political science.

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Conner Barrett

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...