Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team held scoreless, falls to FIU

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday afternoon, falling to Florida International University 1-0.

“I’m really disappointed today in our performance,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game. “I felt like we were the better team and they just got a lucky break from us making a mistake and we have to move past that as we move into conference play. Our games aren’t going to be easy as we move forward and we really just have to have the mentality to win.”

FIU (1-5-1) jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute when midfielder Alyssa Robinson stole an errant pass, directed back to Canes’ redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, and finished in the top right corner for a goal.

“Ninety-nine and a half times out of 100 that doesn’t happen,” redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said. “Sometimes you’re thrown trials and sometimes you need to be humbled. Stuff like that happens on every single level and it’s unfortunate that it happened today, but we have to keep moving forward.”

The Hurricanes (5-3) totaled eight shots throughout the half, but failed to get one past Panther goalkeeper Sophia Trujillo, who made four saves on the day including a spectacular kick to stop Miami junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 24th minute.

The Canes came out with a vengeance and turned up the pressure against the Panthers in the second half. Although Miami was able to collect 12 more shots in the second half, for a total of 20 on the game, the FIU defense was up to the task and blocked 10 shots throughout the 90-minute contest preserving a clean sheet.

Miami, who are currently on a two-game skid, will visit their archrival No. 1 Florida State Seminoles on Sunday as they open up conference play.

“We have enough chemistry on this team and enough trust on this team,” McCarthy said. “It’s going to be hard, but I think we’re ready. It’s going to be exciting to go out and give it everything we have.”

The match will start at 1 p.m. at Seminole Soccer Complex.

About Author

Josh White

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...