Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team held scoreless, falls to FIU

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday afternoon, falling to Florida International University 1-0.

“I’m really disappointed today in our performance,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game. “I felt like we were the better team and they just got a lucky break from us making a mistake and we have to move past that as we move into conference play. Our games aren’t going to be easy as we move forward and we really just have to have the mentality to win.”

FIU (1-5-1) jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute when midfielder Alyssa Robinson stole an errant pass, directed back to Canes’ redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, and finished in the top right corner for a goal.

“Ninety-nine and a half times out of 100 that doesn’t happen,” redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said. “Sometimes you’re thrown trials and sometimes you need to be humbled. Stuff like that happens on every single level and it’s unfortunate that it happened today, but we have to keep moving forward.”

The Hurricanes (5-3) totaled eight shots throughout the half, but failed to get one past Panther goalkeeper Sophia Trujillo, who made four saves on the day including a spectacular kick to stop Miami junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 24th minute.

The Canes came out with a vengeance and turned up the pressure against the Panthers in the second half. Although Miami was able to collect 12 more shots in the second half, for a total of 20 on the game, the FIU defense was up to the task and blocked 10 shots throughout the 90-minute contest preserving a clean sheet.

Miami, who are currently on a two-game skid, will visit their archrival No. 1 Florida State Seminoles on Sunday as they open up conference play.

“We have enough chemistry on this team and enough trust on this team,” McCarthy said. “It’s going to be hard, but I think we’re ready. It’s going to be exciting to go out and give it everything we have.”

The match will start at 1 p.m. at Seminole Soccer Complex.

Josh White

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...