Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team held scoreless, falls to FIU

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday afternoon, falling to Florida International University 1-0.

“I’m really disappointed today in our performance,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game. “I felt like we were the better team and they just got a lucky break from us making a mistake and we have to move past that as we move into conference play. Our games aren’t going to be easy as we move forward and we really just have to have the mentality to win.”

FIU (1-5-1) jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute when midfielder Alyssa Robinson stole an errant pass, directed back to Canes’ redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, and finished in the top right corner for a goal.

“Ninety-nine and a half times out of 100 that doesn’t happen,” redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said. “Sometimes you’re thrown trials and sometimes you need to be humbled. Stuff like that happens on every single level and it’s unfortunate that it happened today, but we have to keep moving forward.”

The Hurricanes (5-3) totaled eight shots throughout the half, but failed to get one past Panther goalkeeper Sophia Trujillo, who made four saves on the day including a spectacular kick to stop Miami junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 24th minute.

The Canes came out with a vengeance and turned up the pressure against the Panthers in the second half. Although Miami was able to collect 12 more shots in the second half, for a total of 20 on the game, the FIU defense was up to the task and blocked 10 shots throughout the 90-minute contest preserving a clean sheet.

Miami, who are currently on a two-game skid, will visit their archrival No. 1 Florida State Seminoles on Sunday as they open up conference play.

“We have enough chemistry on this team and enough trust on this team,” McCarthy said. “It’s going to be hard, but I think we’re ready. It’s going to be exciting to go out and give it everything we have.”

The match will start at 1 p.m. at Seminole Soccer Complex.

Josh White

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...