Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team held scoreless, falls to FIU

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday afternoon, falling to Florida International University 1-0.

“I’m really disappointed today in our performance,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game. “I felt like we were the better team and they just got a lucky break from us making a mistake and we have to move past that as we move into conference play. Our games aren’t going to be easy as we move forward and we really just have to have the mentality to win.”

FIU (1-5-1) jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute when midfielder Alyssa Robinson stole an errant pass, directed back to Canes’ redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, and finished in the top right corner for a goal.

“Ninety-nine and a half times out of 100 that doesn’t happen,” redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said. “Sometimes you’re thrown trials and sometimes you need to be humbled. Stuff like that happens on every single level and it’s unfortunate that it happened today, but we have to keep moving forward.”

The Hurricanes (5-3) totaled eight shots throughout the half, but failed to get one past Panther goalkeeper Sophia Trujillo, who made four saves on the day including a spectacular kick to stop Miami junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 24th minute.

The Canes came out with a vengeance and turned up the pressure against the Panthers in the second half. Although Miami was able to collect 12 more shots in the second half, for a total of 20 on the game, the FIU defense was up to the task and blocked 10 shots throughout the 90-minute contest preserving a clean sheet.

Miami, who are currently on a two-game skid, will visit their archrival No. 1 Florida State Seminoles on Sunday as they open up conference play.

“We have enough chemistry on this team and enough trust on this team,” McCarthy said. “It’s going to be hard, but I think we’re ready. It’s going to be exciting to go out and give it everything we have.”

The match will start at 1 p.m. at Seminole Soccer Complex.

Josh White

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...