Election 2016, News

SecureCanes Wi-Fi blocks Trump website, IT cites technical issues

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s website appeared to be blocked on campus, according to students from UM College Republicans.

The student organization tweeted a picture Friday night showing Trump’s website was blocked while using SecureCanes, the university’s secure Wi-Fi.

“The site you are attempting to visit was found to be unsafe or pose harm to your system and/or device,” the page blocker said.

Chris Dalton, president of College Republicans, told The Miami Hurricane that different members within his organization tried entering the website to no avail.

“You can’t see the website. We had multiple people try the website from different locations around campus and it was not working,” he said.

The student organization took issue with the block because SecureCanes users could still access the website for Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

“Members said that they can’t see Trump’s website but they can see Clinton’s,” Dalton said. “This isn’t even about Trump, the website should not have been blocked.”

A statement issued by UM spokesperson Megan Ondrizek said:

“The issue was addressed immediately and we whitelisted the site as soon as this was brought to our attention. We are still investigating the main cause, but it appears that there was malicious activity on the host server which caused it to be blocked automatically.”

Ondrizek said the host server was the problem, not the website itself. The Information Technology (IT) department said it uses a service called Spamhaus to vet servers.

“UM subscribes to a service called Spamhaus, which is an organization that tracks spam and related cyber threats such as phishing, malware, and botnets. Spamhaus provides realtime actionable threat intelligence which UM uses to protect its network.”

TMH reporters who tried accessing the website Saturday on their desktops or laptops through SecureCanes Wi-Fi were able to access Trump’s website. Dalton said those who tried on their phones through the school’s Wi-Fi were still unable to.

An IT worker who did not want to be named said the website was not intentionally blocked, but it was due to a technical issue if the website could be accessed on different devices.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

About Author

Marcus Lim

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “SecureCanes Wi-Fi blocks Trump website, IT cites technical issues”

1. Robert Dillon says:

I find this to be a problem. With the election coming up students should be able to view both candidates websites and make an informed decision. With online media becoming the main source of information for many, if not all of the voters in this election its only fair that students have access to both candidates sites, not just one.

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...