Crime and Safety, News

Police Activity Across from Coral Gables Campus

Police activity around Capital Bank on South Dixie Highway (US1) has been cleared, according to an University of Miami Emergency Notification Network (ENN) message sent out Friday just after 1 p.m.

UM ENN sent out an initial alert Friday around 12:30 p.m. to report police activity at South Alhambra Circle and US1 and advise those in Gables 1 Tower, a university office building, to stay in place.

Traffic on US1 was at a standstill while police surrounded Capital Bank, and a helicopter could be seen hovering above the area. Coral Gables Police Department Public Information Officer Kelly Denham said the case was being handled by the FBI.

The FBI in Miami could not be reached for comment.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...