Crime and Safety, News

Police Activity Across from Coral Gables Campus

Police activity around Capital Bank on South Dixie Highway (US1) has been cleared, according to an University of Miami Emergency Notification Network (ENN) message sent out Friday just after 1 p.m.

UM ENN sent out an initial alert Friday around 12:30 p.m. to report police activity at South Alhambra Circle and US1 and advise those in Gables 1 Tower, a university office building, to stay in place.

Traffic on US1 was at a standstill while police surrounded Capital Bank, and a helicopter could be seen hovering above the area. Coral Gables Police Department Public Information Officer Kelly Denham said the case was being handled by the FBI.

The FBI in Miami could not be reached for comment.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Police Activity Across from Coral Gables Campus”

1. Haolin Xiong says:

Around noon, we(UM students) received the emergency message and email from ENN. At first, the police just said if you are on campus, be alert; if you are off campus, avoid the S Alhambra Cr& US 1. But they did not tell us about what happened. It made people feel nervous because we did not know anything from the message and email they sent to us. We just know we were kind of in danger. One hour later, the ENN informed us all clear on campus and a little detail about the rob of the Capital Bank near campus. Hope next time the police department can send us more detailed message and let people know what happened firstly.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...