Crime and Safety, News

Police Activity Across from Coral Gables Campus

Police activity around Capital Bank on South Dixie Highway (US1) has been cleared, according to an University of Miami Emergency Notification Network (ENN) message sent out Friday just after 1 p.m.

UM ENN sent out an initial alert Friday around 12:30 p.m. to report police activity at South Alhambra Circle and US1 and advise those in Gables 1 Tower, a university office building, to stay in place.

Traffic on US1 was at a standstill while police surrounded Capital Bank, and a helicopter could be seen hovering above the area. Coral Gables Police Department Public Information Officer Kelly Denham said the case was being handled by the FBI.

The FBI in Miami could not be reached for comment.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...