Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes women’s soccer team falls to FGCU

The Hurricanes dropped their second game of the season Thursday night in a 1-0 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at Cobb Stadium.

“We need to do a better job playing together,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game.

In a fairly uneventful first half, the Hurricanes were unable to record a shot until the 27th minute. The only real chance for goal came when freshman forward Bayleigh Chaviers narrowly missed, making contact on a header off a cross from the corner.

Both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless tie.

Florida Gulf Coast struck first in the 54th minute off a crossing feed that Eagle forward Tabby Tindell buried past Miami redshirt sophomore keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. The goal was her first allowed in three games.

Tullis-Joyce kept the Canes in the game with two key saves in the 63rd minute. Miami managed a steady offense in the final 15 minutes of the match, but the effort fell short. One final attempt by freshman forward Kristina Fisher was the closest Miami came to scoring. With two minutes left in the contest, she drove a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced just over where senior forward Gracie Lachowecki stood in the Gulf Coast box.

The Eagles shut down the Canes offense in the final seconds to take the win.

“You can’t win ‘em all,” Redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said after the loss. “We’ll have to take a look in the mirror and look to control what we can control.”

The Hurricanes are back in action against FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...