Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes women’s soccer team falls to FGCU

The Hurricanes dropped their second game of the season Thursday night in a 1-0 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at Cobb Stadium.

“We need to do a better job playing together,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game.

In a fairly uneventful first half, the Hurricanes were unable to record a shot until the 27th minute. The only real chance for goal came when freshman forward Bayleigh Chaviers narrowly missed, making contact on a header off a cross from the corner.

Both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless tie.

Florida Gulf Coast struck first in the 54th minute off a crossing feed that Eagle forward Tabby Tindell buried past Miami redshirt sophomore keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. The goal was her first allowed in three games.

Tullis-Joyce kept the Canes in the game with two key saves in the 63rd minute. Miami managed a steady offense in the final 15 minutes of the match, but the effort fell short. One final attempt by freshman forward Kristina Fisher was the closest Miami came to scoring. With two minutes left in the contest, she drove a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced just over where senior forward Gracie Lachowecki stood in the Gulf Coast box.

The Eagles shut down the Canes offense in the final seconds to take the win.

“You can’t win ‘em all,” Redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said after the loss. “We’ll have to take a look in the mirror and look to control what we can control.”

The Hurricanes are back in action against FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...