Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes women’s soccer team falls to FGCU

The Hurricanes dropped their second game of the season Thursday night in a 1-0 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at Cobb Stadium.

“We need to do a better job playing together,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game.

In a fairly uneventful first half, the Hurricanes were unable to record a shot until the 27th minute. The only real chance for goal came when freshman forward Bayleigh Chaviers narrowly missed, making contact on a header off a cross from the corner.

Both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless tie.

Florida Gulf Coast struck first in the 54th minute off a crossing feed that Eagle forward Tabby Tindell buried past Miami redshirt sophomore keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. The goal was her first allowed in three games.

Tullis-Joyce kept the Canes in the game with two key saves in the 63rd minute. Miami managed a steady offense in the final 15 minutes of the match, but the effort fell short. One final attempt by freshman forward Kristina Fisher was the closest Miami came to scoring. With two minutes left in the contest, she drove a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced just over where senior forward Gracie Lachowecki stood in the Gulf Coast box.

The Eagles shut down the Canes offense in the final seconds to take the win.

“You can’t win ‘em all,” Redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said after the loss. “We’ll have to take a look in the mirror and look to control what we can control.”

The Hurricanes are back in action against FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...