Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes women’s soccer team falls to FGCU

The Hurricanes dropped their second game of the season Thursday night in a 1-0 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at Cobb Stadium.

“We need to do a better job playing together,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game.

In a fairly uneventful first half, the Hurricanes were unable to record a shot until the 27th minute. The only real chance for goal came when freshman forward Bayleigh Chaviers narrowly missed, making contact on a header off a cross from the corner.

Both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless tie.

Florida Gulf Coast struck first in the 54th minute off a crossing feed that Eagle forward Tabby Tindell buried past Miami redshirt sophomore keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. The goal was her first allowed in three games.

Tullis-Joyce kept the Canes in the game with two key saves in the 63rd minute. Miami managed a steady offense in the final 15 minutes of the match, but the effort fell short. One final attempt by freshman forward Kristina Fisher was the closest Miami came to scoring. With two minutes left in the contest, she drove a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced just over where senior forward Gracie Lachowecki stood in the Gulf Coast box.

The Eagles shut down the Canes offense in the final seconds to take the win.

“You can’t win ‘em all,” Redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said after the loss. “We’ll have to take a look in the mirror and look to control what we can control.”

The Hurricanes are back in action against FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

About Author

Danny LaRose

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...