Football, Sports

FAMU win offers 3 takeaways

Redshirt junior running back Gus Edwards (7) glides into the end zone for a Hurricanes' touchdown during the 70-3 win over FAMU Saturday night at Hard Rock Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Redshirt junior running back Gus Edwards (7) glides into the end zone for a Hurricanes’ touchdown during the 70-3 win over FAMU Saturday night at Hard Rock Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

1. Miami football kick-started its 2016 campaign exactly the way it needed to with a 67-point blowout victory over FAMU. The numbers were certainly impressive, but there was much more to take away from this game than just the final score. Here are three things we learned from the Canes’ opening win:

1.) The enthusiasm is back.

From the coaches to the players to the fans, people are excited about Miami football again. The players were energized and played up-tempo in front of one of the bigger home-opener crowds that the Canes have had in a few years. The talent has always been there, but it seems that the intangibles are back this year as well.“Just driving in and seeing the traffic – that was great,” Head Coach Mark Richt said after the game. “There were a lot of people tailgating throughout the entire parking lot, more than I can ever remember as a player really. Seeing all the students up in the stands early was great as well.”

2.) The Canes have plenty of weapons on offense.

Miami’s talent among the skill positions is unmistakable. Quarterback Brad Kaaya played well, as expected, throwing for four touchdowns in the season opener, but it was the running backs who stole the show. Mark Walton, Joe Yearby and Gus Edwards all rushed for more than 100 yards and each had at least one touchdown. There was also a lot of depth at the wide receiver position. While no one wideout had a great game, nine different players caught passes, indicating that Kaaya will have multiple options every time he drops back to pass this season. “That was pretty impressive,” Offensive Coordinator Thomas Brown said about the performance of the team’s running backs. “But it was a total team effort, starting up front with the o-line, the quarterbacks getting us into the right checks, the tight ends being involved and really the receivers, downfield blocking-wise, being able to give us some one-on-one opportunities and make some touchdown-making blocks for us.”

3.) Miami still needs to improve on defense.

While they put on an impressive performance by only allowing three points, multiple big plays were given up to a far inferior opponent. As the season moves on, those big plays will concede touchdowns against better competition. However, this should be a relatively easy fix after the defense studies film from this first matchup.“I feel like we can get better,” redshirt senior defensive back Adrian Colbert said in regards to the team’s pass defense. “There is always room for improvement and that’s what we are striving for every day.”

The Canes will take the field again on Saturday against Florida Atlantic University. While it certainly isn’t a marquee matchup, it will be a small step up in competition for this team. All things considered, this was a successful first week for Miami and a strong start to the Mark Richt era.

Cody Brown

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...