News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options

Senate discusses freedom of expression on campus

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz raised the issue of controversial conversations and UM’s policy on sensitive subjects.

The following discussion focused on safe spaces, trigger warnings and proper training for student leaders. Many of the senators’ responses were about mutual respect and focusing on diction when talking about controversial topics. The senators also mentioned that students should be more open to learning about other cultures.

“It’s not necessarily the opinion, but the way it is expressed,” said Sarah Betancourt, commuter senator and head of Academic Affairs.

Ritika Malkani, Arts and Sciences senator, spoke about the need for these discussions on a college campus.

“The whole point of higher education is to dispute controversial topics,” Malkani said.

The conversation eventually led to the possibility of a “Dialog Series,” in which the Senate will tackle social topics at the meetings. They’ve started working with their Personal Relations Committee to spread the word.

Director of Study Abroad visits Senate

Director of Study Abroad Devika Milner spoke to Senate about the various Study Abroad programs available through the University of Miami.

“If you feel like there are obstacles preventing you from studying abroad, I want to make sure you hear about all the opportunities first,” Milner said.

The options include the semester-long “U” Programs, exchange programs and intersession or summer events led by UM faculty. Courses taken abroad do count toward majors, minors, cognates and electives.

For more information, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Notes:

• There will be no shuttles to Wynwood this month.
  • The first ‘Cane Talks will take place Sept. 8 at 4 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options”

1. Haolin Xiong says:

As we know, UM definitely has a lot of choices for study abroad and for the past summer, I went to Europe to take one architecture class with UM professor. I really enjoyed the whole trip and class. But I think the accommodation condition is not good. Some hotels are not cheap but the quality are quite bad. Hope in the future the study abroad office consider the problem and improve it.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...