News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options

Senate discusses freedom of expression on campus

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz raised the issue of controversial conversations and UM’s policy on sensitive subjects.

The following discussion focused on safe spaces, trigger warnings and proper training for student leaders. Many of the senators’ responses were about mutual respect and focusing on diction when talking about controversial topics. The senators also mentioned that students should be more open to learning about other cultures.

“It’s not necessarily the opinion, but the way it is expressed,” said Sarah Betancourt, commuter senator and head of Academic Affairs.

Ritika Malkani, Arts and Sciences senator, spoke about the need for these discussions on a college campus.

“The whole point of higher education is to dispute controversial topics,” Malkani said.

The conversation eventually led to the possibility of a “Dialog Series,” in which the Senate will tackle social topics at the meetings. They’ve started working with their Personal Relations Committee to spread the word.

Director of Study Abroad visits Senate

Director of Study Abroad Devika Milner spoke to Senate about the various Study Abroad programs available through the University of Miami.

“If you feel like there are obstacles preventing you from studying abroad, I want to make sure you hear about all the opportunities first,” Milner said.

The options include the semester-long “U” Programs, exchange programs and intersession or summer events led by UM faculty. Courses taken abroad do count toward majors, minors, cognates and electives.

For more information, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Notes:

• There will be no shuttles to Wynwood this month.
  • The first ‘Cane Talks will take place Sept. 8 at 4 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...