News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options

Senate discusses freedom of expression on campus

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz raised the issue of controversial conversations and UM’s policy on sensitive subjects.

The following discussion focused on safe spaces, trigger warnings and proper training for student leaders. Many of the senators’ responses were about mutual respect and focusing on diction when talking about controversial topics. The senators also mentioned that students should be more open to learning about other cultures.

“It’s not necessarily the opinion, but the way it is expressed,” said Sarah Betancourt, commuter senator and head of Academic Affairs.

Ritika Malkani, Arts and Sciences senator, spoke about the need for these discussions on a college campus.

“The whole point of higher education is to dispute controversial topics,” Malkani said.

The conversation eventually led to the possibility of a “Dialog Series,” in which the Senate will tackle social topics at the meetings. They’ve started working with their Personal Relations Committee to spread the word.

Director of Study Abroad visits Senate

Director of Study Abroad Devika Milner spoke to Senate about the various Study Abroad programs available through the University of Miami.

“If you feel like there are obstacles preventing you from studying abroad, I want to make sure you hear about all the opportunities first,” Milner said.

The options include the semester-long “U” Programs, exchange programs and intersession or summer events led by UM faculty. Courses taken abroad do count toward majors, minors, cognates and electives.

For more information, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Notes:

• There will be no shuttles to Wynwood this month.
  • The first ‘Cane Talks will take place Sept. 8 at 4 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options”

1. Haolin Xiong says:

As we know, UM definitely has a lot of choices for study abroad and for the past summer, I went to Europe to take one architecture class with UM professor. I really enjoyed the whole trip and class. But I think the accommodation condition is not good. Some hotels are not cheap but the quality are quite bad. Hope in the future the study abroad office consider the problem and improve it.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...