Art, Edge

Lowe After Hours offers on-campus artistic attraction

Last Thursday evening, the Lowe Art Museum buzzed as a steady flow of students and members of the art community explored the galleries during Lowe After Hours, an event that runs the first Thursday of each month from 7-9 p.m.

Guests enjoyed complimentary food and drinks sponsored by Bacardi, Rex Goliath and Cabot Cheese.

Nixing the usual pristine silence of an art museum, a DJ played songs such as “Lean On” by Major Lazer and “Vivir Mi Vida” by Marc Anthony.

Lowe After Hours has been held for the last decade. Usually, more than 100 people attend.

Janie Graulich, a staff member in Visitor Services, said that the event is held to encourage Lowe membership and to show students what the on-campus museum has to offer.

“Most students don’t even realize that there is an art museum here … [admission]is offered to them complimentary,” Graulich said.

While new visitors to the Lowe might be under the impression that art museums are stuffy and quiet, Lowe After Hours challenges that notion. Guests drink liquor and eat snacks while exploring the galleries. Music blasts in the background as visitors socialize and casually take in the art around them.

The Ben Tobin Gallery, which features modern and abstract works of art, is one of the most popular galleries. Featured pieces include the Andy Warhol collection of Mao prints, a video of a blinking eye, a neon sign and a giant horse sculpture.

All galleries are open to guests during the event. The variety of art is vast, ranging from glass-blown pieces in the Palley Pavilion to Native American works in the Alfred I. Barton Wing.

On Thursday, the majority of the attendees were graduate students. The first 50 graduate students that arrived received free event admission. At every Lowe After Hours event, Lowe members can attend for free and non-members can buy a ticket for $12.50.

David Breyer, an undergraduate student who works at the Lowe, said that more undergraduate students used to attend the event, but those numbers have trickled down in recent years. However, the staff is hopeful that this will turn back around.

Breyer also said that the Lowe is interested in getting students more involved by possibly hiring a student DJ in the future.

Nick Remijan, another student employee, said that the event is a valuable experience for all undergraduate students.

Even if students are not artistically inclined, Remijan said Lowe After Hours is a social event where attendees can meet people who are involved with the art community, helping students to become more engaged with art.

“I think that everyone should be well-versed in the arts,” Remijan said. “The more knowledge, the better.”

About Author

Kelsey Stern

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Lowe After Hours offers on-campus artistic attraction”

1. Gregory O'Bannon says:

I had no idea this event existed. I’m in my third year at UM and would love to attend something like this in the future. Thanks for the information!

2. Xinrui Wang says:

It’s good to know the events from the hurricane news. I would really like to go to this kind of events in the Museum in the future! I would also like to bring some friends to attend the events too. I believe that everyone should be well-versed in arts, too.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...