Opinion, Staff Editorial

Focus on positive growth in freshman year

The incoming freshman class of 2020 was selected with a 38-percent acceptance rate, continuing the trend of increasingly selective admission at UM. With a more competitive pool of applicants, one would assume that each year would bring a new batch of students who are a little more mature and levelheaded than previous freshmen.

But selectivity doesn’t always match up with behavior outside the classroom. Each fall, it seems that the wild and questionable freshman stories resurface. Cases of arson, drinking blackouts and hospital visits plague the freshman dorms.

Is UM admitting more daring students, or is deliberate recklessness characteristic of all freshmen classes, still testing the limits of their newfound freedom and alcohol tolerance? Moving to a campus and suddenly meeting hundreds of new peers, leaving the supervision of watchful parents and living in a city where party culture thrives can be an overwhelming combination. If a freshman didn’t already come in with a levelheaded sense of judgment, they probably won’t develop it during their first semester at college.

Maybe we’re being unfairly harsh on the freshmen. Are upperclassmen really any better, or are they just better at keeping their dirty laundry out of sight? After all, most upperclassmen live off campus, free from the supervision of RAs and the restrictions of residential dorm life. But let’s stay optimistic and chalk it up to maturation; in other words, there is hope for the first-years.

Of course, college is a time to have fun and try new experiences. Yet decisions should be made because they really do provide fun, memorable personal experiences, not just for the sake of being crazy or daring. Students should make reasonable judgments about risks and benefits and be confident enough to tell themselves, and others, when they’ve reached their limits. Getting caught up with blindly trying to create a new “college self” prevents real growth.

Many of the relationships that begin during freshman year, both personal and professional, plant the seeds for future opportunities. This sentiment is particularly important for the class of 2020, but it is also key for any student on the way to a post-graduate career. Some new experiences can be distracting and sometimes a bit overwhelming – stay focused and start off on the right foot.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...