Freshman Kristina Fisher starts soccer season strong, credits teammates for performance

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the women’s soccer win over Jacksonville University in August. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

It is often difficult for star athletes to keep a level head when praised for excellent performance. Players can suddenly feel as though they deserve all the credit coming their way. Miami soccer phenom Kristina Fisher does not have that problem, as she has demonstrated a key element to handling success at a young age: humility.

The freshman forward has been nothing short of sensational at the start of the season for the women’s soccer team. She was named the NSCAA College Player of the Week in the last week of August for exhibiting excellent ball-striking ability, dribbling and awareness from match to match. Fisher has six goals, five assists and 17 points on the year, a staggering feat considering she has put up those numbers in just six games.

With all those impressive individual accomplishments, Fisher continues to give the credit and focus to the team.

“I was in class and then I got all these texts from my teammates,” Fisher said regarding the honor. “I get a lot of help from my teammates and it is pretty much because of them that I got it.”

Selflessness is a vital component to sports, and it seems that the young star has just enough of it.

“We don’t really care who scores,” Fisher said. “We always play together.”

However, regardless of what she says, it is obvious that her individual play has been something special and her team has largely benefited from it. The Canes have already scored 20 goals on the season and hold a strong 5-1 record.

So what is the freshman’s secret?

“I just go into every game with a lot of energy,” Fisher said. “I just try to think about how to get the best scoring opportunity for the team when I get the ball.”

The forward does just that on the field. Whether it is by scoring herself or setting up a teammate for a goal, Fisher makes a positive impact the moment she goes into the game and does whatever it takes to help her team win.

Given that she started playing the sport at just eight years old, it is not surprising that Fisher is so polished at this point in her career.

“I watched my cousin play a tournament and fell in love with it,” Fisher said. “Been training ever since, with the goal of playing in college.”

Fisher has reached that goal, but not through the most typical process. She played club soccer instead of on her high school team. She also ran track to give her a good base for running and fitness.

“I played club soccer because high school soccer just wasn’t at the same level in my area,” Fisher said. “I used the time to train and get better.”

It would be an understatement to say that her hard work has paid off, as Fisher is showing the poise of someone much older than herself. She testifies some of that to the job the seniors have done to mentor the freshmen and create the right environment for them.

No matter the individual success, Fisher has continued to put the focus on the team over anything else.

“Our team has really been about being ‘above the line,’” Fisher said. “We are all just trying to work hard together and be accountable for one another and trust each other on the field.”

The team, in return, has allowed her the freedom to be the playmaker that she is.

“She tells me to play free and not put too much pressure on myself,” Fisher said of Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe. “They all encourage me to go to goal.”

This is just the beginning to what looks to be a superb career here at the U for Fisher, and maybe something even bigger after that.

“I just always had a dream to play at the professional level and my ultimate goal would be to play on the U.S. women’s national team,” Fisher said.

She is well on her way.