Hillel, community give musical homecoming to returning student

Frost School of Music Dean Shelton Berg performs a piano instrumental of the song "Lean On Me” for sophomore Connor Golden during the Hillel Open Mic Night to benefit Golden Wednesday night. The event raised funds to cover Golden’s medical expenses incurred during his recovery from this summer’s incident. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

Frost School of Music Dean Shelton Berg performs a piano instrumental of the song “Lean On Me” for sophomore Connor Golden during the Hillel Open Mic Night to benefit Golden Wednesday night. The event raised funds to cover Golden’s medical expenses incurred during his recovery from this summer’s incident. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami Hillel hosted a special Open Mic Night, partnering with the Frost School of Music, as a tribute and to raise money for Connor Golden, who was severely injured this past summer in Central Park.

Read More: UM student returning in fall after stepping on explosive

Hillel just opened last year, and Frost students Alexis Kesselman and Isabella Englert wanted a way to highlight the space. This year, they plan to host them once a month on Wednesdays. Usually, the event is free, but for this night, they charged $7 per ticket, plus donations, to raise money for Golden and his medical expenses.

Kesselman and Englert saidGolden was going to switch into their program, the contemporary music program, from classical. The sophomores were excited for Golden’s switch. Each class typically has about 30 students, so everyone knows each other pretty well.

Kesselman and Englert said they were most attracted to the sense of community at UM.

“When we first came as freshmen last year, it was such an overwhelming sense of community and just – it sounds cheesy but – love for everyone in the program because I think everyone’s so respected,” Englert said.

The session is usually held on the Hillel rooftop. For this event, the organizers were hoping to bring in at least 100 people, so they moved it to the sanctuary to fit more people, including Golden, who was in attendance.

“We heard about what happened over the summer,” said Kesselman, “and I just kind of got the idea that as a community, it’s so important to show him we were affected by it.”

There were nine acts by Frost students scheduled for the night, followed by an open mic for anyone else who wanted to perform. Students played guitar, piano and sung, making for some crowd-pleasing performances from a large audience.

The night was highlighted by Shelton Berg, dean of the music school, who said the song he prepared was “something that relates to all of us and Connor.” He proceeded to perform a soulful rendition of “Lean On Me” on the piano, which brought the crowd to its feet.

“I could really feel the familial community within the Frost school and the Hillel organization, Freshman Sarah Kapadia said. “There was tremendous support for all of the performers and for Connor, and the atmosphere was warm and inviting throughout the entire night.”

Anyone who could not attend the Open Mic Night but still wants to donate can go on Golden’s GoFundMe page, gofundme.com/ConnorGoldenFund. The page has already raised more than its initial goal of $75,000.

Jabari Wilbon

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hillel, community give musical homecoming to returning student”

1. Zihan Huang says:

I’ve just read Connor’s story and deeply sorry to learn about the accident. I hope everyone can reach out some supports to him. The event in Frost School of Music raised funds to cover Golden’s medical expenses which is very meaningful and show a good example to us.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...