Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball team completes comeback win against UTSA

Miami’s volleyball team notched their third victory of the season Friday morning with a thrilling five-set victory over UTSA in the American Campus Classic.

The Canes (3-3) got off to a rocky start as UTSA’s Dajana Boskovic led the Roadrunners (3-3) to a convincing 25-13 first-set victory. Miami woke up in the second set but still wasn’t able to overcome Boskovic, who finished the match with 23 points on 21 kills and found themselves down two sets to none after a 22-25 defeat.

That’s when the Canes turned the switch, rallying on to sweep the next three sets. After regrouping, Miami was able to win a back and forth third set that ended 25-20. The fourth set was by far the most competitive, with UTSA doing everything they could to end the match and head home with a victory. Miami sophomore outside hitters Anna Haak and Kolby Bird helped squeak out the set 26-24.

By the beginning of the fifth set, the Hurricanes were on a roll. The team rode a wave of momentum to a 15-12 comeback victory. Haak and Bird ended the match with 20 and 18.5 points respectively, while junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali added 20 points of her own.

The Canes suffered losses to Lipscomb and Texas in the last two matches of the American Campus Classic, but they will look to rebound in the Wildcat Classic. The first contest will be against Loyola Chicago on Friday at 11 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.

Cody Brown

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...