Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball team completes comeback win against UTSA

Miami’s volleyball team notched their third victory of the season Friday morning with a thrilling five-set victory over UTSA in the American Campus Classic.

The Canes (3-3) got off to a rocky start as UTSA’s Dajana Boskovic led the Roadrunners (3-3) to a convincing 25-13 first-set victory. Miami woke up in the second set but still wasn’t able to overcome Boskovic, who finished the match with 23 points on 21 kills and found themselves down two sets to none after a 22-25 defeat.

That’s when the Canes turned the switch, rallying on to sweep the next three sets. After regrouping, Miami was able to win a back and forth third set that ended 25-20. The fourth set was by far the most competitive, with UTSA doing everything they could to end the match and head home with a victory. Miami sophomore outside hitters Anna Haak and Kolby Bird helped squeak out the set 26-24.

By the beginning of the fifth set, the Hurricanes were on a roll. The team rode a wave of momentum to a 15-12 comeback victory. Haak and Bird ended the match with 20 and 18.5 points respectively, while junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali added 20 points of her own.

The Canes suffered losses to Lipscomb and Texas in the last two matches of the American Campus Classic, but they will look to rebound in the Wildcat Classic. The first contest will be against Loyola Chicago on Friday at 11 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.

Cody Brown

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...