Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball team completes comeback win against UTSA

Miami’s volleyball team notched their third victory of the season Friday morning with a thrilling five-set victory over UTSA in the American Campus Classic.

The Canes (3-3) got off to a rocky start as UTSA’s Dajana Boskovic led the Roadrunners (3-3) to a convincing 25-13 first-set victory. Miami woke up in the second set but still wasn’t able to overcome Boskovic, who finished the match with 23 points on 21 kills and found themselves down two sets to none after a 22-25 defeat.

That’s when the Canes turned the switch, rallying on to sweep the next three sets. After regrouping, Miami was able to win a back and forth third set that ended 25-20. The fourth set was by far the most competitive, with UTSA doing everything they could to end the match and head home with a victory. Miami sophomore outside hitters Anna Haak and Kolby Bird helped squeak out the set 26-24.

By the beginning of the fifth set, the Hurricanes were on a roll. The team rode a wave of momentum to a 15-12 comeback victory. Haak and Bird ended the match with 20 and 18.5 points respectively, while junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali added 20 points of her own.

The Canes suffered losses to Lipscomb and Texas in the last two matches of the American Campus Classic, but they will look to rebound in the Wildcat Classic. The first contest will be against Loyola Chicago on Friday at 11 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.

Cody Brown

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...