Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball team completes comeback win against UTSA

Miami’s volleyball team notched their third victory of the season Friday morning with a thrilling five-set victory over UTSA in the American Campus Classic.

The Canes (3-3) got off to a rocky start as UTSA’s Dajana Boskovic led the Roadrunners (3-3) to a convincing 25-13 first-set victory. Miami woke up in the second set but still wasn’t able to overcome Boskovic, who finished the match with 23 points on 21 kills and found themselves down two sets to none after a 22-25 defeat.

That’s when the Canes turned the switch, rallying on to sweep the next three sets. After regrouping, Miami was able to win a back and forth third set that ended 25-20. The fourth set was by far the most competitive, with UTSA doing everything they could to end the match and head home with a victory. Miami sophomore outside hitters Anna Haak and Kolby Bird helped squeak out the set 26-24.

By the beginning of the fifth set, the Hurricanes were on a roll. The team rode a wave of momentum to a 15-12 comeback victory. Haak and Bird ended the match with 20 and 18.5 points respectively, while junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali added 20 points of her own.

The Canes suffered losses to Lipscomb and Texas in the last two matches of the American Campus Classic, but they will look to rebound in the Wildcat Classic. The first contest will be against Loyola Chicago on Friday at 11 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.

Cody Brown

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...