Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball team completes comeback win against UTSA

Miami’s volleyball team notched their third victory of the season Friday morning with a thrilling five-set victory over UTSA in the American Campus Classic.

The Canes (3-3) got off to a rocky start as UTSA’s Dajana Boskovic led the Roadrunners (3-3) to a convincing 25-13 first-set victory. Miami woke up in the second set but still wasn’t able to overcome Boskovic, who finished the match with 23 points on 21 kills and found themselves down two sets to none after a 22-25 defeat.

That’s when the Canes turned the switch, rallying on to sweep the next three sets. After regrouping, Miami was able to win a back and forth third set that ended 25-20. The fourth set was by far the most competitive, with UTSA doing everything they could to end the match and head home with a victory. Miami sophomore outside hitters Anna Haak and Kolby Bird helped squeak out the set 26-24.

By the beginning of the fifth set, the Hurricanes were on a roll. The team rode a wave of momentum to a 15-12 comeback victory. Haak and Bird ended the match with 20 and 18.5 points respectively, while junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali added 20 points of her own.

The Canes suffered losses to Lipscomb and Texas in the last two matches of the American Campus Classic, but they will look to rebound in the Wildcat Classic. The first contest will be against Loyola Chicago on Friday at 11 a.m. in Manhattan, Kan.

Cody Brown

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...