Soccer, Sports

UM women’s soccer defeats FAU, improves to 5-1

Junior forward Ronnie Johnson (4) breaks past two FAU defenders during Sunday’s game at Cobb Stadium. Josh White // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team defeated FAU 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. This victory brings Miami’s all-time record against the Owls to 8-6.

The Canes’ (5-1-0) defense, anchored by redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, completed its fifth clean sheet of the season and have still only allowed two goals thus far.

“We’ve just bonded as a team,” Tullis-Joyce said in regards to the defensive unit. “It’s really just communication; we can just talk and figure out where players are and get them marked up.”

The defense was able to hold off several FAU (3-3-0) chances at the end of the first half and the two teams went into the break tied at 0-0. Four of five saves made by Tullis-Joyce’s came in the first half, and it was because of this stout defensive effort that Miami was able to break through later.

That breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Freshman forward Kristina Fisher and sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia worked their way down the right sideline and crossed the ball into the box. Awaiting at close range was senior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who was able to poke the ball into the back of the net after fighting through the FAU defense.

“We had a lot of chances today and we didn’t finish them, but we got one [goal]in the second half and it was all we needed,” Lachowecki said. She finished with three shots on target in 59 minutes of play.

Lachowecki’s goal on Sunday was her fifth of the season, and she is well on her way to eclipsing her 12-goal mark from last year. Fisher’s assist was her fifth of the season as her incredible collegiate career continues. In just six games, she has 17 points, including six goals.

The Hurricanes are home again this week and will face off against FGCU at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Carson Coudriet

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...