Soccer, Sports

UM women’s soccer defeats FAU, improves to 5-1

Junior forward Ronnie Johnson (4) breaks past two FAU defenders during Sunday’s game at Cobb Stadium. Josh White // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team defeated FAU 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. This victory brings Miami’s all-time record against the Owls to 8-6.

The Canes’ (5-1-0) defense, anchored by redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, completed its fifth clean sheet of the season and have still only allowed two goals thus far.

“We’ve just bonded as a team,” Tullis-Joyce said in regards to the defensive unit. “It’s really just communication; we can just talk and figure out where players are and get them marked up.”

The defense was able to hold off several FAU (3-3-0) chances at the end of the first half and the two teams went into the break tied at 0-0. Four of five saves made by Tullis-Joyce’s came in the first half, and it was because of this stout defensive effort that Miami was able to break through later.

That breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Freshman forward Kristina Fisher and sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia worked their way down the right sideline and crossed the ball into the box. Awaiting at close range was senior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who was able to poke the ball into the back of the net after fighting through the FAU defense.

“We had a lot of chances today and we didn’t finish them, but we got one [goal]in the second half and it was all we needed,” Lachowecki said. She finished with three shots on target in 59 minutes of play.

Lachowecki’s goal on Sunday was her fifth of the season, and she is well on her way to eclipsing her 12-goal mark from last year. Fisher’s assist was her fifth of the season as her incredible collegiate career continues. In just six games, she has 17 points, including six goals.

The Hurricanes are home again this week and will face off against FGCU at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Carson Coudriet

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...