Soccer, Sports

UM women’s soccer defeats FAU, improves to 5-1

Junior forward Ronnie Johnson (4) breaks past two FAU defenders during Sunday’s game at Cobb Stadium. Josh White // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team defeated FAU 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. This victory brings Miami’s all-time record against the Owls to 8-6.

The Canes’ (5-1-0) defense, anchored by redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, completed its fifth clean sheet of the season and have still only allowed two goals thus far.

“We’ve just bonded as a team,” Tullis-Joyce said in regards to the defensive unit. “It’s really just communication; we can just talk and figure out where players are and get them marked up.”

The defense was able to hold off several FAU (3-3-0) chances at the end of the first half and the two teams went into the break tied at 0-0. Four of five saves made by Tullis-Joyce’s came in the first half, and it was because of this stout defensive effort that Miami was able to break through later.

That breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Freshman forward Kristina Fisher and sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia worked their way down the right sideline and crossed the ball into the box. Awaiting at close range was senior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who was able to poke the ball into the back of the net after fighting through the FAU defense.

“We had a lot of chances today and we didn’t finish them, but we got one [goal]in the second half and it was all we needed,” Lachowecki said. She finished with three shots on target in 59 minutes of play.

Lachowecki’s goal on Sunday was her fifth of the season, and she is well on her way to eclipsing her 12-goal mark from last year. Fisher’s assist was her fifth of the season as her incredible collegiate career continues. In just six games, she has 17 points, including six goals.

The Hurricanes are home again this week and will face off against FGCU at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Carson Coudriet

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...