Colin Kaepernick’s peaceful protest deserves praise, not scorn

The San Francisco 49ers captured headlines recently because quarterback Colin Kaepernick remained seated during the national anthem. When asked why he sat during the anthem, Kaepernick replied that it was to protest and call attention to oppression of people of color in America, and that he would sit until “there’s significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it’s supposed to represent in this country,” mentioning his displeasure with both major parties’ nominees.

Many took to social media to voice their anger at his perceived lack of patriotism. Fans burned his jersey. Players, coaches and reporters slammed his opinions.

This has been one of the most peaceful protests to take place in the past few years. With all the criticism of protesting at political rallies and the Black Lives Matter movement, one would think that such a non-confrontational, non-violent protest would be met with relief from everyone, especially the police, who often have to show up in large numbers to defuse protests that devolve into violence and represent a danger to the community.

So why are the Santa Clara police threatening to refuse to serve at NFL games? Why does Kaepernick receive such disdain from his contemporaries? Why does everyone seem to think that exercising his right to free speech is unpatriotic?

In fact, isn’t it safe to assume that most Americans believe that the country could be improved in some way?

Forty-one percent of Americans would vote today for Donald Trump, according to The Huffington Post. Trump’s slogan, “Make America Great Again,” implies that many of those people find our current system inadequate. Trump himself said that Kaepernick should find a new country. Perhaps he was angry about someone using his strategy: doing something inflammatory so the media will give him a platform to speak on issues he finds important. This move should sound quite familiar to those following the election.

This hypocrisy is not one-sided; nearly everyone has a problem with America. Odds are you either believe that gun laws are becoming too stringent, or there are too many guns on the street. Either we spend way too much on our military, or we need a stronger army to keep us safe. The difference is that Kaepernick is actually standing up for his beliefs.

Why is he not allowed to protest? Clearly, it’s okay to disagree with the system in place; people do it every day. Everyone who has attacked Kaepernick over the past week must ask themselves one key question: Are you upset about the protest, or the fact that you don’t have the courage to do it yourself?

Curtis Mitchell is a junior majoring in finance.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user ClassicallyPrinted

Curtis Mitchell

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...