Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer wins over Miami (OH), 1-0

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes' 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes’ 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

In a battle between two Miamis at Cobb Stadium Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated the RedHawks from Ohio, 1-0.

The lone goal was scored in the 16th minute by freshman forward Dejah Cason off a cross from fellow freshman forward Kristina Fisher. Fisher drove the crossing pass from the corner and Cason leapt above her defender to head the ball into the back of the net.

“I can jump really high,” Cason said of her effort, which she confirmed was the coolest goal of her career. “It’s not often you score a goal like that.”

The Canes (4-1-0) took control of play for the final 30 minutes of the first half and headed into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.

The RedHawks (1-3-0) fought back with heavy offensive pressure after the 55th minute, but could not manage a goal against the strong Hurricane defense. Back-and-forth play ensued for the better part of the second half.

With five minutes remaining in the contest, defender Danielle Savage saved the lead, and ultimately the win, when she made a sliding block on an open-net shot from inside the Hurricane box. Both benches erupted in awe at the spectacular feat of athleticism by the redshirt sophomore.

The timely save was instinctive for Savage.

“I knew the team was working hard and I had to get back,” Savage said. “I knew she was going for goal and I had to stop it.”

The Canes held the lead in the final minutes of the match to stave off the tough opponents from Miami (OH) University.

“We’ve had a lot of success early in the season and this was a good test,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said of her team’s performance. She gave goal-scorer Cason praise as well.

“It was an amazing goal for Dejah,” Frances-Monroe said. “A great first goal as a Hurricane.”

The Hurricanes return to action against FAU on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...