Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer wins over Miami (OH), 1-0

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes' 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes’ 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

In a battle between two Miamis at Cobb Stadium Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated the RedHawks from Ohio, 1-0.

The lone goal was scored in the 16th minute by freshman forward Dejah Cason off a cross from fellow freshman forward Kristina Fisher. Fisher drove the crossing pass from the corner and Cason leapt above her defender to head the ball into the back of the net.

“I can jump really high,” Cason said of her effort, which she confirmed was the coolest goal of her career. “It’s not often you score a goal like that.”

The Canes (4-1-0) took control of play for the final 30 minutes of the first half and headed into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.

The RedHawks (1-3-0) fought back with heavy offensive pressure after the 55th minute, but could not manage a goal against the strong Hurricane defense. Back-and-forth play ensued for the better part of the second half.

With five minutes remaining in the contest, defender Danielle Savage saved the lead, and ultimately the win, when she made a sliding block on an open-net shot from inside the Hurricane box. Both benches erupted in awe at the spectacular feat of athleticism by the redshirt sophomore.

The timely save was instinctive for Savage.

“I knew the team was working hard and I had to get back,” Savage said. “I knew she was going for goal and I had to stop it.”

The Canes held the lead in the final minutes of the match to stave off the tough opponents from Miami (OH) University.

“We’ve had a lot of success early in the season and this was a good test,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said of her team’s performance. She gave goal-scorer Cason praise as well.

“It was an amazing goal for Dejah,” Frances-Monroe said. “A great first goal as a Hurricane.”

The Hurricanes return to action against FAU on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...